Acknowledging parenthood of your child in the Netherlands

Are you having a child, and you and the birth mother are not married or in a civil partnership? You, as a father or the female partner of a birth mother, can become a legal parent if you officially acknowledge parenthood of that child. This can be done free of charge through your municipality.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Acknowledging parenthood of your child in the Netherlands

You must go to the municipality in person to officially acknowledge parenthood of your child and to choose a surname. This is possible in every municipality in the Netherlands. You must make an appointment to do this.

For more information contact the municipality at phone number +31 10 506 11 11 or send an e-mail to or fill in our contact form.


Contact details are not yet available for your municipality.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Public Information Service

Last updated on 23 December 2022