Netherlands Worldwide

Certificate of residence in Fiji

If you live in Fiji you may occasionally need to produce a certificate of residence. The Dutch embassy in Wellington, New Zealand, can draw up this certificate for you.

When do you need a certificate of residence?

A certificate of residence allows you to prove your place of residence abroad. You need this document:

  • in connection with various tax and social security contributions
  • when renewing your driving licence

What documents do you need?

You need the following documents in order to apply for a certificate of residence:

  • a document showing that you have the permission of the local authorities to reside in the country where you are applying – for example, a residence permit (this is not required if you live in the EU)
  • proof of your current address
  • proof that you have Dutch nationality. This may be any one of the following documents:
    • a Dutch passport
    • a Dutch national identity card
    • a certificate of Dutch nationality

Certificate of residence in this country or region

How to apply for a consular certificate at the Dutch embassy in Wellington?

You can send all the required documents per post to:

Netherlands embassy
Attn. Consular section
Co-operative Bank Building, 10th floor
Corner Featherston & Balance streets
Wellington 6011

You can also scan the documents and send them per email. The certificates need to be specified for it’s purpose, so please mention the purpose of the certificate in your letter or email.

On average it takes 3 working days for the certificate to be produced and posted to the submitted address*. If you send originals, these will also be returned.

* Do you live in Fiji, New Caledonia, Samoa or Tonga? Then the embassy will send the certificate to the honorary consulate in those countries. You can pick up the certificate at the honorary consulate.

If you want to come in person to the embassy in Wellington, you'll have to make an appointment via the online appointment system.

How much do you need to pay?

For the costs of a certificate you can check the overview of consular fees.

Applications via post or email

For applications by post or email you increase the amount with the shipping costs* for the courier. For both applications by post and via email, the total amount must be paid by cheque to the embassy. Please mention on your cheque:

Kingdom of Netherlands - Regional Support Office Asia, and mention "consular certificate + your name".

Applications in person

If you want to apply in person, you will have to pay the total cost (certificate + shipping costs * if applicable) at the time of your application.

* Shipping within New Zealand: NZD 9.00. Shipping to American Samoa, Cook Islands, French Polynesia, Kiribati, Niue, Pitcairn Islands, Tokelau Islands, Tuvalu or Wallis and Futuna: NZD 18.00.

Any questions?

In case you have a question, you can send an email via the contact form.