Life certificate

If you live outside the Netherlands and receive an AOW pension, the Social Insurance Bank (SVB) may ask you for a life certificate to prove that you are still alive. 

Life certificates are also known as:

  • proof of life certificates
  • proof of life declarations
  • declarations of existence

Life certificate form

The SVB will send you a life certificate form that you must:

  1. complete
  2. ask someone to sign
  3. return to the SVB. 

Have the form signed

The form must be officially signed when you have completed it. The form you receive from the SVB will explain who you can ask to sign it. You must visit the person who is to sign the form.

You can in any event ask:

Due to the corona virus, the possibilities to apply for this declaration at an embassy or consulate are limited. Please check the online appointment system to see if it is possible to make an appointment. If no times are available, it is not yet possible to submit an application at the embassy or consulate.

If you decide to have the form signed by one of the other persons named on the form, such as a notary, you must have the form translated and legalised at your own expense. 

Return the form to the SVB

When your completed form has been signed, you must return it and any supporting documents to the SVB. There are two options:

  • upload the form in   MySVB (information in Dutch) using your DigiD or another EU-approved login key;
  • send the form to: SVB, Postbus 40280, 3504 AB Utrecht, The Netherlands. 


If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to  contact us.