Legalisation of documents from Yemen for use in the Netherlands

To use a document from Yemen in the Netherlands, you must have it legalised by the Yemeni Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Then you must get a certificate from the Yemeni embassy in The Hague. Finally, have the certificate legalised by the Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs in The Hague.

Due to the coronavirus, the possibilities to have foreign documents legalised at an embassy or consulate-general are limited. To see if it is possible to make an appointment, please check the online appointment system (unless otherwise indicated). If no times are available, it is not yet possible. Do you only need to have your documents legalised by the local authorities? Then check with the local authorities if that is possible.

Who can have documents legalised?

Anyone who has one or more documents from Yemen can have them legalised for use in any part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands:

  • the European part of the Netherlands
  • Aruba
  • Bonaire
  • Curaçao
  • Saba
  • St Eustatius
  • St Maarten

Requirements for your document

Your document must be original and complete. If the document refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

Translation of your document

If your document is not in English, French, German or Dutch you might need to have it translated. The following rules apply:

  • Your document must be translated by a sworn translator.
  • It must be translated into English, French, German or Dutch.
  • If the sworn translator is not registered in the Netherlands, you must also have the translation legalised.

Which documents can be legalised?

You can have various documents legalised, such as diplomas and certificates. The most common documents are extracts from civil status records:

  • an official copy of a birth certificate
  • a certificate of unmarried status
  • an official copy of a marriage certificate
  • an official copy of a divorce certificate
  • an official copy of a death certificate

Ask the Yemeni authorities where you can get the documents you need.

Where can you have your documents legalised?

You must have your document legalised by the Yemeni Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The current situation in Yemen means that the Netherlands embassy in Sana'a cannot legalise documents. Instead you can follow these steps to get your document legalised:

  • Ask the Yemeni embassy in The Hague to draw up a consular certificate for your document. To find out what conditions apply, contact the embassy.
  • Have this consular certificate legalised by the Consular Service Centre (CDC) at the Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs in The Hague. You will also need to show the original document.

Assistance from the CDC in The Hague

The Consular Service Centre (CDC) cannot help you apply for documents or have documents legalised for you in Yemen.

Verification of your document

The stamp or sticker on your document means only that the correct signature is on your document. It does not prove that the content is correct or that the document is authentic. A municipality in the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or another authority may decide to check this.