Travelling with children

If a child under 18 is travelling with only one parent, that parent must have permission. Otherwise they may be considered to be removing the child from parental authority and engaging in international child abduction.

When a child travels with only one parent

In some situations a child under 18 may travel with only one parent: 

  • If you share parental responsibility and are travelling alone with your child. You must have the other parent's consent.
  • If you have sole parental responsibility. In this case you do not need permission, but you will need other documents.
  • If you are the child's parent but you do not have parental responsibility. You will need the consent of the parent who has parental responsibility.
  • If the other parent is no longer alive. 

You can use the consent letter for minors travelling abroad to prove that you have the permission of the person or persons with parental authority. Both parents have to sign the form. You must fill in a separate form for each child. 

You need this form to enter and leave the Netherlands. For the country you are travelling to, you may need other documents or forms. Please check with the local authorities.

For more information about these situations, go to There you can also find out what documents you will have to take with you.

Individual advice

Do you have any questions about your situation? Is there anything you aren't sure about? You can get individual advice from Center IKO, the legal expertise centre on international child abduction. Its contact details are: +31 (0)88 800 9000 and