Legalisation of documents from Vatican City for use in the Netherlands

To use a document from Vatican City in the Netherlands, you must first have it legalised by the authorities in Vatican City.

Due to the coronavirus, the possibilities to have foreign documents legalised at an embassy or consulate-general are limited. To see if it is possible to make an appointment, please check the online appointment system (unless otherwise indicated). If no times are available, it is not yet possible. Do you only need to have your documents legalised by the local authorities? Then check with the local authorities if that is possible.

Which documents can be legalised?

You can have various documents legalised, such as diplomas and certificates. The most common documents are extracts from civil status records:

  • an official copy of a birth certificate
  • a certificate of unmarried status
  • an official copy of a marriage certificate
  • an official copy of a death certificate

Ask the authorities in Vatican City where you can get the documents you need.

Where and how can you have your documents legalised?

Ask the local authorities how you can get your document from Vatican City legalised for use in the Netherlands.