Legalisation of documents from the US Virgin Islands for use in the Netherlands

If you want to use a document from the US Virgin Islands in the Netherlands, you must first have it legalised by the local US authorities.

Due to the coronavirus, the possibilities to have foreign documents legalised at an embassy or consulate-general are limited. To see if it is possible to make an appointment, please check the online appointment system (unless otherwise indicated). If no times are available, it is not yet possible. Do you only need to have your documents legalised by the local authorities? Then check with the local authorities if that is possible.

Which documents can be legalised?

You can have various documents legalised, such as diplomas and certificates. The most common documents are extracts from civil status records:

  • an official copy of a birth certificate
  • a certificate of unmarried status
  • an official copy of a marriage certificate
  • an official copy of a divorce certificate
  • an official copy of a death certificate

Ask the authorities in the US Virgin Islands where you can get these documents.

Where and how can you have your document legalised?

Ask the local American authorities where and how you can have your document legalised.