Renewing your Dutch nationality certificate in the United States

If you live in the United States and you are a Dutch national, you can renew your Dutch nationality certificate at a Netherlands embassy in Washington or consulate-general in New York, Miami, Chicago and San Francisco.

Your situation

  • You have Dutch nationality.
  • You are 18 years old or over.
  • You have previously held a Dutch passport, ID card (valid or expired) or Dutch nationality certificate or were previously registered in a parent’s passport.

If your situation is different, select the appropriate option under Applying for a Dutch nationality certificate.

What documents do you need?

When you apply for a Dutch nationality certificate, you must provide several documents. For every document, you must provide the original and a photocopy. You may need to have the original legalised and translated. The rules vary by country.

If you are sending the documents by post, you must send legalised official copies.

Identity documents

You should provide all identity documents in your name. This includes foreign and expired documents. You do not need to bring expired documents which have already been cancelled (for instance by having a hole punched through them).

Application form

You should also provide a completed and signed Dutch nationality certificate application form (PDF, 55 KB) (in Dutch).

Dual nationality

If you have another nationality in addition to Dutch nationality, and this is the first time you are renewing the certificate after turning 18, you will need to provide additional documents because of your dual nationality.

Proof of legal residence

You must provide proof of legal residence in the country where you live. This could be:

  • a valid visa for the country where you live, and the documents that accompany it
  • a valid residence permit for the country where you live
  • proof of residence, if you live in the European Union, Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland or Switzerland, such as:
    • a certificate of registration at your municipality
    • a bank statement or utility bill giving your address
    • proof of payment of municipal taxes

How much will it cost?

For information about the cost of renewing a Dutch nationality certificate, see the overview of consular fees.

How long will it take?

The average processing time for applications is 3 weeks. If you are asked to provide additional documents, processing may take up to 8 weeks.

How will you receive the document?

You can collect the Dutch nationality certificate from a Dutch embassy or consulate-general in the region. In most cases, the document can also be sent by post.

Renewing your Dutch nationality certificate in this country or region

First renewal after acquiring US nationality

If you are renewing your Dutch nationality certificate for the first time since acquiring US nationality, you must have your naturalisation document legalised with an apostille.

If you acquired US nationality through your partner, bring proof that you were married at the time of your naturalisation (affidavit of marital status (PDF, 156 KB)). This statement (the affidavit) must be filled in by your partner. You also need a signed and dated copy of your partners ID-card or passport.

Contrary to what is written above, you can prove that you are legally residing in the US by providing:

  • a valid visa and supporting documents (a Homeland Security's 797 Notice of Action)
  • a valid residence permit

Do you have the American nationality? Then you can show that you are legally residing in the United States by providing:

  • a copy of your American passport (if you were born in the US)
  • a certificate of naturalisation as a US citizen or proof of birth abroad, a so called Consular Report of Birth Abroad, CRBA (if you were not born in the US)

If you do not have valid US immigration documents, you must hold a ‘Certification of Non-existence of a Record of Naturalization’. You can request this document from US Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Procedure to apply for consular certificates in the United States

Applying by post

In the US you can apply for a consular certificate/declaration by post. To apply you can send a letter with your name and contact details, notarised copies of the required documents and the payment by post.

Please indicate clearly in your letter the purpose for which you will be using the certificate. We will put it in the declaration. It takes approximately 3 working days to process your application.

If you would like the certificate returned to you by post, please include a return envelope with the correct postage. If you send original documents, these will only be returned to you if you provide copies.

You can also have your certificate sent to you by UPS, FedEX or DHL. You will have to pay the postage charge yourself, and you will need to provide a pre-paid, electronically generated shipping label with your application. For more details on acceptable types of labels, please read the mailing instructions (PDF, 16 KB).

Applying in person

If you wish to apply in person, you can make an appointment via the online appointment system.

In case you wish to submit your application at the consulate-general in Chicago, you will need to send an email to make appointment.

If possible the certificate will be made immediately and you can wait for it. If it is too busy, you will have to pick it up another day or you can have it sent to you. Therefore, as a precaution, always bring a return envelope and sufficients stamps with you.

Postal addresses of the embassy and consulates-general

Check the contact pages of the embassy in Washington or the consulates-general in Chicago, Miami, New York or San Francisco for the address where you can send you application to.

Do not forget to state on the envelope that your letter is intended for the consular section.


The costs of the declarations and certificates can be checked on the consular fees page.

In case you want to apply by post, you can send a money order in the name of the "Embassy of the Netherlands", regardless of where you will send your application to.

In case you want to apply in person, you need to keep in mind that at the Netherlands embassy and consulates-general in the United States you can only pay by credit card (VISA or Master card). Cash payments are not possible.

Any questions?

In case you have questions, contact us via the contact form.