Renewing a minor's Dutch nationality certificate in the United States

If you live in the United States and your child is a Dutch national, you can renew their Dutch nationality certificate at the Netherlands embassy in Washington or the consulate-general in New York, Miami, Chicago and San Francisco.


  • The child has Dutch nationality.
  • The child is under 18.
  • The child has previously held a Dutch passport, ID card (valid or expired) or Dutch nationality certificate or was previously registered in a parent’s passport.

If the child’s situation is different, select the appropriate option under Applying for a Dutch nationality certificate.

What documents do you need?

When you apply for a Dutch nationality certificate, you must provide several documents. For every document, you must provide the original and a photocopy. You may need to have the original legalised and translated. The rules vary by country.

If you are sending the documents by post, you must send legalised official copies.

Identity documents

You should bring all identity documents in your and the child’s name. This includes foreign and expired documents. You do not need to bring expired documents which have already been cancelled (for instance by having a hole punched through them).

Application form

You should also bring a completed and signed Dutch nationality certificate application form (PDF, 55 KB) (in Dutch).

Parental consent

Each parent must give permission for a Dutch nationality certificate application to be submitted for the child.

If both parents are able to visit the embassy or consulate-general
Both parents sign the application form and accompany their child to the embassy or consulate-general. The parents should bring their identity documents with them.

If one or both parents are unable to visit the embassy or consulate-general
Each parent who is unable to come fills in and signs a declaration of consent. This form is available in Dutch and English. If you live in the Netherlands, you can get a declaration of consent form from your municipality. Make sure your child takes the signed declaration(s) and photocopies of both parents’ passports to the embassy or consulate-general with them.


If you are the child’s guardian, you must prove this by presenting an official copy of the relevant court judgment. The official copy must not have been issued more than 1 year ago.

Death certificate

If one or both of the child’s parents are deceased, please provide an official copy of the death certificate(s).

At least one parent is a Dutch national

You must provide proof that at least one of the child’s parents has Dutch nationality. This can be a Dutch passport and a residence permit for the country where they live. Or other documents proving Dutch nationality.

Birth certificate

If the child’s birth certificate is held in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen), you do not have to provide this document. If the child’s birth certificate is not held in the Personal Records Database, you should provide a complete official copy of the child’s birth certificate or an extract from the register of births, giving the child’s place of birth (not only the state, but also the city, town or village where the child was born) and both parents’ full names. These documents do not need to have been issued recently. Hospital-issued certificates are not accepted.

Proof of legal residence

You must provide proof of legal residence in the country where you and the child live. This could be:

  • a valid visa for the country where you live, and the documents that accompany it
  • a valid residence permit for the country where you live
  • proof of residence, if you live in the European Union, Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland or Switzerland, such as:
    • a certificate of registration at your municipality
    • a bank statement or utility bill giving your address
    • proof of payment of municipal taxes

How much will it cost?

For information about the cost of renewing a Dutch nationality certificate, see the overview of consular fees.

How long will it take?

The average processing time for applications is 3 weeks. If you are asked to provide additional documents, processing may take up to 8 weeks.

How will you receive the document?

You can collect the Dutch nationality certificate from a Dutch embassy or consulate-general in the region. In most cases, the document can also be sent by post.

Renewing a minor’s Dutch nationality certificate in this country or region

Contrary to what is written above, you can prove that you are legally residing in the US by providing:

  • a valid visa and supporting documents (a Homeland Security's 797 Notice of Action)
  • a valid residence permit

Do you have the American nationality? Then you can show that you are legally residing in the United States by providing:

  • a copy of your American passport (if you were born in the US)
  • a certificate of naturalisation as a US citizen or proof of birth abroad, a so called Consular Report of Birth Abroad, CRBA (if you were not born in the US)

If you do not have valid US immigration documents, you must hold a ‘Certification of Non-existence of a Record of Naturalization’. You can request this document from US Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Procedure to apply for consular certificates in the United States

Applying by post

In the US you can apply for a consular certificate/declaration by post. To apply you can send a letter with your name and contact details, notarised copies of the required documents and the payment by post.

Please indicate clearly in your letter the purpose for which you will be using the certificate. We will put it in the declaration. It takes approximately 3 working days to process your application.

If you would like the certificate returned to you by post, please include a return envelope with the correct postage. If you send original documents, these will only be returned to you if you provide copies.

You can also have your certificate sent to you by UPS, FedEX or DHL. You will have to pay the postage charge yourself, and you will need to provide a pre-paid, electronically generated shipping label with your application. For more details on acceptable types of labels, please read the mailing instructions (PDF, 16 KB).

Applying in person

If you wish to apply in person, you can make an appointment via the online appointment system.

In case you wish to submit your application at the consulate-general in Chicago, you will need to send an email to make appointment.

If possible the certificate will be made immediately and you can wait for it. If it is too busy, you will have to pick it up another day or you can have it sent to you. Therefore, as a precaution, always bring a return envelope and sufficients stamps with you.

Postal addresses of the embassy and consulates-general

Check the contact pages of the embassy in Washington or the consulates-general in Chicago, Miami, New York or San Francisco for the address where you can send you application to.

Do not forget to state on the envelope that your letter is intended for the consular section.


The costs of the declarations and certificates can be checked on the consular fees page.

In case you want to apply by post, you can send a money order in the name of the "Embassy of the Netherlands", regardless of where you will send your application to.

In case you want to apply in person, you need to keep in mind that at the Netherlands embassy and consulates-general in the United States you can only pay by credit card (VISA or Master card). Cash payments are not possible.

Any questions?

In case you have questions, contact us via the contact form.