Certificate of residence in United States

If you live in the United States you may occasionally need to produce a certificate of residence. The embassy in Washington or the consulate-general in New York, Miami, Chicago and San Francisco can draw up this document for you.

Due to the corona virus, the possibilities to apply for this declaration at an embassy or consulate-general are limited. Please check the online appointment system to see if it is possible to make an appointment. If no times are available, it is not yet possible to submit an application at the embassy or consulate general.

When do you need a certificate of residence?

A certificate of residence allows you to prove your place of residence abroad. You need this document:

  • in connection with various tax and social security contributions
  • when renewing your driving licence

What documents do you need?

You need the following documents in order to apply for a certificate of residence:

  • a document showing that you have the permission of the local authorities to reside in the country where you are applying – for example, a residence permit (this is not required if you live in the EU)
  • proof of your current address
  • proof that you have Dutch nationality. This may be any one of the following documents:
    • a Dutch passport
    • a Dutch national identity card
    • a certificate of Dutch nationality

Certificate of residence in this country or region

In addition to the aforementioned documents, you must also bring proof of your current address.

Proof of legal residence in the US

Contrary to what is written above, you can prove that you are legally residing in the US by providing:

  • a valid visa and supporting documents (a Homeland Security's 797 Notice of Action)
  • a valid residence permit

Do you have the American nationality? Then you can show that you are legally residing in the United States by providing:

  • a copy of your American passport (if you were born in the US)
  • a certificate of naturalisation as a US citizen or proof of birth abroad, a so called Consular Report of Birth Abroad, CRBA (if you were not born in the US)

If you do not have valid US immigration documents, you must hold a ‘Certification of Non-existence of a Record of Naturalization’. You can request this document from US Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Procedure to apply for consular certificates in the United States

Applying by post

In the US you can apply for a consular certificate/declaration by post. To apply you can send a letter with your name and contact details, copies of the required documents and the payment by post.

Please indicate clearly in your letter the purpose for which you will be using the certificate. We will put it in the declaration. It takes approximately 3 working days to process your application.

If you would like the certificate returned to you by post, please include a return envelope with the correct postage. If you send original documents, these will only be returned to you if you provide copies.

You can also have your certificate sent to you by UPS, FedEX or DHL. You will have to pay the postage charge yourself, and you will need to provide a pre-paid, electronically generated shipping label with your application. For more details on acceptable types of labels, please read the mailing instructions (PDF, 16 KB).

Applying in person

If you wish to apply in person, you can make an appointment via the online appointment system.

In case you wish to submit your application at the consulate-general in Chicago, you will need to send an email to make appointment.

If possible the certificate will be made immediately and you can wait for it. If it is too busy, you will have to pick it up another day or you can have it sent to you. Therefore, as a precaution, always bring a return envelope and sufficients stamps with you.

Postal addresses of the embassy and consulates-general

Check the contact pages of the embassy in Washington or the consulates-general in Chicago, Miami, New York or San Francisco for the address where you can send you application to.

Do not forget to state on the envelope that your letter is intended for the consular section.


The costs of the declarations and certificates can be checked on the consular fees page.

In case you want to apply by post, you can send a money order in the name of the "Embassy of the Netherlands", regardless of where you will send your application to.

In case you want to apply in person, you need to keep in mind that at the Netherlands embassy and consulates-general in the United States you can only pay by credit card (VISA or Master card). Cash payments are not possible.

Any questions?

In case you have questions, contact us via the contact form.