Renewing a minor's Dutch nationality certificate in the United Kingdom

If you live in the United Kingdom and your child is a Dutch national, you can renew their Dutch nationality certificate by post at the Netherlands embassy in London.


  • The child has Dutch nationality.
  • The child is under 18.
  • The child has previously held a Dutch passport, ID card (valid or expired) or Dutch nationality certificate or was previously registered in a parent’s passport.

If the child’s situation is different, select the appropriate option under Applying for a Dutch nationality certificate.

What documents do you need?

When you apply for a Dutch nationality certificate, you must provide several documents. For every document, you must provide the original and a photocopy. You may need to have the original legalised and translated. The rules vary by country.

If you are sending the documents by post, you must send legalised official copies.

Identity documents

You should bring all identity documents in your and the child’s name. This includes foreign and expired documents. You do not need to bring expired documents which have already been cancelled (for instance by having a hole punched through them).

Application form

You should also bring a completed and signed Dutch nationality certificate application form (PDF, 55 KB) (in Dutch).

Parental consent

Each parent must give permission for a Dutch nationality certificate application to be submitted for the child.

If both parents are able to visit the embassy or consulate-general
Both parents sign the application form and accompany their child to the embassy or consulate-general. The parents should bring their identity documents with them.

If one or both parents are unable to visit the embassy or consulate-general
Each parent who is unable to come fills in and signs a declaration of consent. This form is available in Dutch and English. If you live in the Netherlands, you can get a declaration of consent form from your municipality. Make sure your child takes the signed declaration(s) and photocopies of both parents’ passports to the embassy or consulate-general with them.


If you are the child’s guardian, you must prove this by presenting an official copy of the relevant court judgment. The official copy must not have been issued more than 1 year ago.

Death certificate

If one or both of the child’s parents are deceased, please provide an official copy of the death certificate(s).

At least one parent is a Dutch national

You must provide proof that at least one of the child’s parents has Dutch nationality. This can be a Dutch passport and a residence permit for the country where they live. Or other documents proving Dutch nationality.

Birth certificate

If the child’s birth certificate is held in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen), you do not have to provide this document. If the child’s birth certificate is not held in the Personal Records Database, you should provide a complete official copy of the child’s birth certificate or an extract from the register of births, giving the child’s place of birth (not only the state, but also the city, town or village where the child was born) and both parents’ full names. These documents do not need to have been issued recently. Hospital-issued certificates are not accepted.

Proof of legal residence

You must provide proof of legal residence in the country where you and the child live. This could be:

  • a valid visa for the country where you live, and the documents that accompany it
  • a valid residence permit for the country where you live
  • proof of residence, if you live in the European Union, Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland or Switzerland, such as:
    • a certificate of registration at your municipality
    • a bank statement or utility bill giving your address
    • proof of payment of municipal taxes

How much will it cost?

For information about the cost of renewing a Dutch nationality certificate, see the overview of consular fees.

How long will it take?

The average processing time for applications is 3 weeks. If you are asked to provide additional documents, processing may take up to 8 weeks.

How will you receive the document?

You can collect the Dutch nationality certificate from a Dutch embassy or consulate-general in the region. In most cases, the document can also be sent by post.

Renewing a minor’s Dutch nationality certificate in this country or region

How to apply for a Dutch nationality statement in the UK?

Points of attention

  • In the UK you can only apply for a Dutch nationality certificate ("verklaring van Nederlanderschap") by post.  You have to send your application to the Dutch embassy in London.
  • A nationality certificate cannot be used as proof of identity. It cannot be used to apply for residence status in the UK.
  • The certificate can only be issued in the Dutch language in the format prescribed by the Netherlands Nationality Act ('Rijkswet op het Nederlanderschap') and related instructions.

Adding how and when you became a Dutch national

  • Nationality certificates do not normally state the date and grounds on which you acquired Dutch nationality. Therefore, if you want these to be stated on your certificate you should indicate this clearly on your application form.
    This may be the case if you need the certificate for a British passport application for a child born in the UK or for a renewal of a South African passport (if you have both Dutch and South African citizenship).
  • If you need the date and grounds on which you acquired Dutch nationality to be stated on the certificate, you will need to include documents that show how and when you became a Dutch national. For example, if you acquired Dutch nationality by descent, you will need to include your unabridged birth certificate, your parents' marriage certificate and your Dutch parent's old and/or current Dutch passport. Photocopies of these documents will suffice if you have a valid Dutch passport and/or Dutch identity card. 

Application procedure and payment

You can send the required documents together with the fully filled out and signed application form by post to:

Dutch Embassy
Attn. Passport section - Consular statements
38 Hyde Park Gate
London SW7 5DP

If you have included original documents with your application, these will be returned to you.


The applicable fee can be found on the page 'Consular fees'. Add  a self-addressed prepaid envelope or an envelope with the necessary stamps for returning the certificate to you. 

Payment can be done by cheque or postal order payable to ‘Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands’.

If you are paying by bank payment has to be made in euros. Please bear in mind that it may take some time for the embassy to receive confirmation that the payment has been made. Therefore you are requested to add a copy of your bank statement proving you paid for the application in order for the embassy to process your application as soon as possible.

Bank details are:

  • Payable to: Ministerie van Buitenlandse Zaken, betreft FSO
  • Account number: NL74INGB 0705 454177
  • Please start the description of the payment with ‘LON <initials and surname> nationality certificate’ so your payment can be identified as a payment for the embassy in London.

Receiving your nationality certificate

Please include a self-addressed, pre-paid special delivery envelope with your application. The embassy will use this envelope to send you your certificate and return any original documents submitted with the application.