Applying for culture funds at the Dutch Embassy in the UK
The Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in the United Kingdom promotes Dutch culture in Great Britain and Northern Ireland. To achieve this the department for Culture, Education and Communications at the Embassy supports Dutch-British cooperation in arts and culture. The Dutch Embassy connects partners, assists in funding projects and promotes cultural cooperation between Dutch and British 'North Sea Neighbours'.
Funding to support cultural cooperation and exchange between the Netherlands and the UK is available. Various Culture Funds in the Netherlands have special grants for international cooperation. In addition, the Dutch Embassy also has a small culture budget. Information on how to apply for funding via the Embassy can be found below.
Funding via the Dutch Embassy
In 2020 the Dutch Embassy in the UK has a culture budget of €180,000.
Professional arts and design organisations can apply for funding via the Dutch Embassy by submitting a detailed proposal to LON-PPC@minbuza.nl.
Criteria for contributions from the Dutch Embassy in the UK
- The application for a contribution from the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in the United Kingdom must include a detailed description of the planned activity, including the date(s) and location(s) of the activity, the names and contact details of the British and Dutch partners collaborating in that activity and a full list of financiers/sponsors.
- The application must include a full and detailed budget of all costs involved. This budget must clearly show which costs the applicant wants to cover with Embassy funds and which costs are covered by other parties.
- Collaboration or exchange between Dutch and British culture professionals is a must.
- This collaboration or exchange is on an equal footing (financially and/or organisationally).
- The organisational and artistic quality of the participating parties must be undisputed.
- The proposal needs to substantiate how the activity helps to build a relevant international audience/network for the Dutch artist(s) and/or contributes towards the artistic/professional development of the Dutch artist(s).
- Contributions from the Dutch Embassy and Dutch culture funds will not exceed 50% of the total costs of the performance/presentation/residency of the Dutch artist(s)/designer(s).
- The activity takes place in the United Kingdom (England, Wales, Scotland and/or Northern Ireland). (With the exception of visitor’s programmes, where culture professionals based in the UK are taken to cultural organisations in the Netherlands to establish new contacts that are likely to lead to future Anglo-Dutch collaborations.)
- The activity is yet to take place. Funding cannot be granted once the activity has started or after the activity has already taken place.
- Both Dutch and British organisations can submit a project proposal.
- Only professional organisations (legal entities) can receive funding.
- The Embassy can provide contributions between €2,500 and €10,000.
- Expenses that are eligible for support are, among others, transportation, travel and accommodation. The proposal needs to specify the travel and accommodation dates.
- Contributions towards PR/marketing and event documentation (AV, photography) are limited to a maximum of £1,000 per proposal.
- Expenses that are not eligible for support are overhead costs (salaries, rent, office supplies).
- Purely commercial activities are not eligible for funding.
- Amateur arts is not eligible for funding.
- When a contribution from the Dutch Embassy is received, it is a requirements that the participation of the Dutch artist(s) and the support from the Dutch government are clearly mentioned in the (marketing) communications.