Brexit Questions and Answers
- The European Commission has created a very helpful Brexit Q&A regarding citizens' rights.
- You can also find answers to frequently asked Brexit questions on government.nl/brexit.
- Information for businesses is available via the Brexit Desk
- Impact of Brexit on Higher Education and Research
- Latest news on Brexit negotiations European Commission
- Watch our most recent Brexit information evening on our Facebook channel
Background on Brexit
Great Britain and Northern Ireland are in the process of leaving the European Union. That process was officially started on 29 March 2017. Negotiations about the way in which the UK leaves the EU led to a Draft Withdrawal Agreement between the UK and the 27 other EU countries in November 2018. However, this agreement was not approved by the British House of Commons. The Brexit date, with or without a deal, is 29 March 2019.
Meanwhile, the UK government has announced that, even in the "unlikely event that the UK leaves the EU without a deal" it wants to protect citizens' rights. The European Commission has also announced its contingency plan in case of a "no deal".