Certificate of life in the United Arab Emirates

If you live in the United Arab Emirates and you need a certificate of life, the consulate-general in Dubai can draw up this document for you.

When might you need a certificate of life?

Dutch financial and benefits agencies like the ABP Pension Fund and the Social Insurance Bank may ask you to provide a certificate of life (verklaring van in leven zijn or attestatie de vita).

What documents do you need?

To apply for a certificate of life, you will need to appear in person at the consular section of the embassy or consulate. You will need to meet the following conditions:

  • you must have a valid Dutch identity document
  • you must be able to provide proof of your nationality or nationalities
  • you must be able to provide proof of your address and place of residence. For example you could produce a certificate of registration from the municipality where you live
  • you must be able to establish your marital status, for example by producing a marriage certificate

You may need to have the original legalised and translated. The rules vary per country.

Getting a certificate of life stamped

Some Dutch financial and benefits agencies draw up their own certificates of life. The embassy or consulate can then sign and stamp these documents (free of charge). This means you don't have to apply for a separate certificate of life.

But you will need to meet following conditions:

  • you must be a Dutch national
  • you must appear in person at the embassy or consulate
  • you must produce a valid Dutch identity document
  • you must provide proof of your address, for example official documents issued by the authorities
  • You must sign the documents at the embassy or consulate in the presence of an embassy or consulate staff member

Obtaining a certificate from the municipality or a notary

If you are unable to go to the embassy or consulate you can instead obtain a certificate of life from the municipal authorities or from a notary in the municipality abroad where you live.

Certificate of life in this country or region

In addition to the documents mentioned above, you must also provide the following:

  • A photocopy of your current UAE residence visa and previous residence visas.
  • Proof that you deregistered from the last municipality you lived in in the Netherlands, stating your marital status at the time you deregistered. If you left the Netherlands before 1994, you can request proof of deregistration from the Central Population Registers Office of the municipality of The Hague (tel. +31 (0)70 353 3177/fax. +31 (0)70 353 2850).
  • If you lived in another country or countries after leaving the Netherlands but before arriving in the UAE, you must provide proof of your marital status for the period in which you lived in each country.
  • If you hold another nationality in addition to your Dutch nationality, you must provide a photocopy of your passport or identity card for the other nationality.

Procedure for requesting declarations

Scan the required documents and send them by email to the consulate-general in Dubai.

In your email, you should clearly state why you are requesting the declaration. We will ensure the declaration contains this information.

In addition, you must state whether the declaration needs to be issued in Dutch or English.

Your declaration will be drawn up as soon as all the required documents and information have been received. When your declaration is ready, you’ll receive a confirmation email informing you it can be collected.

On average it takes 5 working days to draw up a declaration.


Payment should be in cash or by bank card/credit card in Emirati dirhams (AED) and can be made at the desk when you collect your declaration.

You can find out how much you need to pay in the overview of consular fees.


If you have any questions, send us a message using the contact form.