Laws, rules and customs abroad
Each country has its own laws, rules and customs. These may differ from what you are used to in the Netherlands. Find out more about the local situation before you go to avoid problems.
Take local laws and culture into account
When abroad, you need to respect the laws of the country you are visiting. You will also need to be aware of local customs and cultural differences. These may relate to behaviour, belief or local traditions.
For example, be aware of:
- clothing (headscarf, shorts/short skirts)
- traffic regulations (rules about priority, driving under the influence of alcohol, driving on the left)
- photographing people, government buildings, aircraft
- alcohol consumption
- behaviour when dealing with authorities (police, customs)
- limitations on freedom of expression