Legalisation of documents from Turkey for use in the Netherlands

You can use certain documents from Turkey immediately in the Netherlands. Other documents need to be legalised first by the Turkish authorities. This is done with a special stamp called an apostille.

Who can have documents legalised?

Anyone who has one or more documents from Turkey can have them legalised for use in any part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands:

  • the European part of the Netherlands
  • Aruba
  • Bonaire
  • Curaçao
  • Saba
  • St Eustatius
  • St Maarten

Requirements for your document

Your document must be original and complete. If the document refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

Translation of your document

If your document is not in English, French, German or Dutch you might need to have it translated. The following rules apply:

  • Your document must be translated by a sworn translator.
  • It must be translated into English, French, German or Dutch.
  • If the sworn translator is registered outside the Netherlands, you must also have the translation legalised.

Multilingual extracts from civil status records do not need to be translated. A multilingual extract is a standard form in 9 languages.

Where to get your documents

The most common documents are extracts from civil status records:

  • an official copy of a birth certificate
  • a certificate of unmarried status (vukuatlı nüfus kayıt örneği)
  • an official copy of a marriage certificate
  • an official copy of a divorce certificate
  • an official copy of a death certificate

You can get these documents from the civil status records office (nüfus idaresi/nüfus müdürlüğü) in the district of registration.

Other documents

Ask the Turkish authorities where you can get the documents you need.

Which documents do not need to be legalised?

The following documents do not need to be legalised for use in the Kingdom of the Netherlands:

  • all official copies and extracts of civil status records. This includes multilingual civil status record extracts
  • documents drawn up by diplomatic or consular agents
  • certificates proving that you are legally allowed to get married (capacity to marry)

The following documents do not need to be legalised for use in the European part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands and Aruba:

  • all documents concerning:
    • legal capacity or legal family relationships
    • nationality
    • permanent or temporary place of residence
  • all documents required to get married
  • all documents required to draw up a civil status record

Which documents require an apostille?

An apostille is a stamp or sticker on your document. The following documents require a Turkish apostille:

  • documents issued by judicial authorities (for example a public prosecutor, a court registrar or a court enforcement agent)
  • administrative documents, like certificates and diplomas
  • documents drawn up by a civil-law notary
  • official certificates which are placed on documents signed by persons in their private capacity (and not drawn up by a civil-law notary)

This is not a complete list. Contact the Turkish authorities if your document is not listed.

Which documents require a different legalisation procedure?

Turkish documents relating to commercial transactions or customs formalities require a different form of legalisation. Contact the Turkish authorities to find out whether this applies to your document.

Where can you have your document legalised?

For an apostille

To get your document legalised with an apostille, contact the Turkish authorities. For details see the website of the Hague Conference on Private International Law (HCCH).

Once your document has been legalised with an apostille it can be used in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Assistance from the CDC in The Hague

The Consular Service Centre (CDC) cannot help you apply for documents or have documents legalised for you.

Verification of your document

The stamp or sticker on your document means only that the correct signature is on your document. Legalisation does not prove that the content is correct or that the document is authentic. A municipality in the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or another authority may decide to check this.