Certificate of life in Thailand
If you live in Thailand and you need a certificate of life, the Netherlands embassy in Bangkok can draw up this document for you.
When might you need a certificate of life?
Dutch financial and benefits agencies like the ABP Pension Fund and the Social Insurance Bank may ask you to provide a certificate of life (verklaring van in leven zijn or attestatie de vita).
What documents do you need?
To apply for a certificate of life, you will need to apply in person at the consular section of the embassy or consulate. You will need to meet the following conditions:
- you must have a valid Dutch identity document
- you must be able to provide proof of your nationality or nationalities
- you must be able to provide proof of your address and place of residence. For example you could produce a certificate of registration from the municipality where you live
- you must be able to establish your marital status, for example by producing a marriage certificate
You may need to have the original legalised and translated. The rules vary per country.
Getting a certificate of life stamped
Some Dutch financial and benefits agencies draw up their own certificates of life. The embassy or consulate can then sign and stamp these documents. This means you don't have to apply for a separate certificate of life.
But you will need to meet certain conditions:
- you must be a Dutch national
- you must appear in person at the embassy or consulate
- you must produce a valid Dutch identity document
- you must provide proof of your address, for example official documents issued by the authorities
- You must sign the documents at the embassy or consulate in the presence of an embassy or consulate staff member.
Obtaining a certificate from the municipality or a notary
If you are unable to go to the embassy or consulate you can instead obtain a certificate of life from the municipal authorities or from a notary in the municipality abroad where you live.
Certificate of life in this country or region
Application procedure certificate of life
Besides the documents mentioned above you will also have to bring the following:
a completed and signed application form and proof of current addres for example: rental contract, telephone bill etc.
Make an online appointment via the online appointment system.
If you apply for a certificate of life in the morning, you can pick it up the same day between 2 and 3 pm or have it sent to your home address. In the latter case you are requested to supply a sufficiently stamped envelope with your name and address in block letters.
In case you have any questions you can send us a message via the contact form.