Certificate of life in Thailand
If you live in Thailand and you need a certificate of life, the Netherlands embassy in Bangkok can draw up this document for you.
Due to the corona virus, the possibilities to apply for a certificate of life at an embassy or consulate-general are limited. Please check the online appointment system to see if it is possible to make an appointment. If no times are available, it is not yet possible to submit an application at the embassy or consulate general.
When might you need a certificate of life?
Dutch financial and benefits agencies like the ABP Pension Fund and the Social Insurance Bank may ask you to provide a certificate of life (verklaring van in leven zijn or attestatie de vita).
What documents do you need?
To apply for a certificate of life, you will need to appear in person at the consular section of the embassy or consulate. You will need to meet the following conditions:
- you must have a valid Dutch identity document
- you must be able to provide proof of your nationality or nationalities
- you must be able to provide proof of your address and place of residence. For example you could produce a certificate of registration from the municipality where you live
- you must be able to establish your marital status, for example by producing a marriage certificate
You may need to have the original legalised and translated. The rules vary per country.
Getting a certificate of life stamped
Some Dutch financial and benefits agencies draw up their own certificates of life. The embassy or consulate can then sign and stamp these documents (free of charge). This means you don't have to apply for a separate certificate of life.
But you will need to meet following conditions:
- you must be a Dutch national
- you must appear in person at the embassy or consulate
- you must produce a valid Dutch identity document
- you must provide proof of your address, for example official documents issued by the authorities
- You must sign the documents at the embassy or consulate in the presence of an embassy or consulate staff member
Obtaining a certificate from the municipality or a notary
If you are unable to go to the embassy or consulate you can instead obtain a certificate of life from the municipal authorities or from a notary in the municipality abroad where you live.
Certificate of life in this country or region
Application procedure certificate of life
Pre-printed certificate of life from Dutch authorities
In Thailand you cannot have a pre-printed certificate of life stamped at a local notary public or municipality.
Only the pre-printed certificates of live of the SVB can be stamped at a local Social Security office or at the honorary consulate in Phuket.
Appointment at the Netherlands embassy in Bangkok
Make an online appointment via the online appointment system.
If you apply for a certificate of life in the morning, you can pick it up the same day between 2 and 3 pm or have it sent to your home address. In the latter case you are requested to supply a sufficiently stamped envelope with your name and address in block letters.
For the costs of a certificate and the payment method please check the overview of our consular fees.
In case you have any questions after reading the information on this page, you can send an email via the contact form.