Renewing your Dutch nationality certificate in Sweden

If you live in Sweden and you are a Dutch national, you can renew your Dutch nationality certificate at the Dutch embassy in Stockholm. 

Your situation

  • You have Dutch nationality.
  • You are 18 years old or over.
  • You have previously held a Dutch passport, ID card (valid or expired) or Dutch nationality certificate or were previously registered in a parent’s passport.

If your situation is different, select the appropriate option under Applying for a Dutch nationality certificate.

What documents do you need?

When you apply for a Dutch nationality certificate, you must provide several documents. For every document, you must provide the original and a photocopy. You may need to have the original legalised and translated. The rules vary by country.

If you are sending the documents by post, you must send legalised official copies.

Identity documents

You should provide all identity documents in your name. This includes foreign and expired documents. You do not need to bring expired documents which have already been cancelled (for instance by having a hole punched through them).

Application form

You should also provide a completed and signed Dutch nationality certificate application form (PDF, 55 KB) (in Dutch).

Dual nationality

If you have another nationality in addition to Dutch nationality, and this is the first time you are renewing the certificate after turning 18, you will need to provide additional documents because of your dual nationality.

Proof of legal residence

You must provide proof of legal residence in the country where you live. This could be:

  • a valid visa for the country where you live, and the documents that accompany it
  • a valid residence permit for the country where you live
  • proof of residence, if you live in the European Union, Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland or Switzerland, such as:
    • a certificate of registration at your municipality
    • a bank statement or utility bill giving your address
    • proof of payment of municipal taxes

How much will it cost?

For information about the cost of renewing a Dutch nationality certificate, see the overview of consular fees.

How long will it take?

The average processing time for applications is 3 weeks. If you are asked to provide additional documents, processing may take up to 8 weeks.

How will you receive the document?

You can collect the Dutch nationality certificate from a Dutch embassy or consulate-general in the region. In most cases, the document can also be sent by post.

Renewing your Dutch nationality certificate in this country or region

How do I make an appointment?

You can make an appointment online to visit the embassy in Stockholm.

You must provide proof of legal residence in the country where you live.
In Sweden, you can do this by providing: 

  • A population registration certificate (personbevis) in English issued by the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket). The certificate must have been issued in the last 3 months. To obtain this document you can call Skatteverket on 0771 567 567 (from within Sweden) or on +46 8 564 851 60 (from outside Sweden).
  • You can even order a “personbevis” online and have it send to you by mail. Visit the Skatteverket website and search for “personbevis”. Under ‘Who are you going to submit the certificate to?’ select ‘Foreign embassy/government agency/other recipient’. Choose the third option and then English. Finally, enter your Swedish personal identity number (personnummer).
  • If you have a BankID or a Mobile BankID you can also print your own ‘personbevis’ directly from the Skatteverket website by logging in with this application on the Skatteverket website.

In case of any changes in personal details

the original documents that can change the data in the passport (birth certificate, certificate of name change, option statement, Royal Decree, divorce decree, marriage certificate or partner’s death certificate). If these are not Dutch document, they need to be legalized* and if necessary translated.

If the application concerns the application for a Dutch nationality certificate for a minor, the following additional requirements apply in addition to the requirements above:

Original passports of both parents/legal guardians;

  • If one of the parents is unable to visit the embassy, this parent fills in and signs a declaration of consent. Also, a copy of his/her passport has to be provided;
  • If one of the parents is deceased: please provide an official copy of the death certificate;
  • In case of a divorce or termination of registered partnership: official documents indicating who has the legal custody over the child;

The completed and signed application form has to be signed by both parents/legal guardians.

How much will it cost?

You can find the price of a certificate in the overview of consular fees in Sweden.
Payment is by card only.

How long will it take?

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs will first determine if you are a Dutch national. If so, you are entitled to a passport or ID card.

Your passport or ID card will be ready in about 4 weeks. You may be asked to provide additional documents to help us assess your application. If so, it may take up to 8 weeks for you to receive your passport or ID card.

How can I track my application?

When you apply for a travel document, you will receive a track & trace code. This allows you to track your application online. You will be informed by email when your document is ready.

How do I get my document?

Collect your document

You can collect your document from the embassy in Stockholm between 9.00 and 12.00 Monday to Friday. You do not need to make an appointment. First check on which days our offices are closed.

In exceptional cases we can send your travel document by registered post if you have a Swedish driving licence or another official proof of identity. If you want to receive your document in this way, you should make this known when you submit your application.  You will have to pay the postage costs and the document will be sent to you at your own risk.

The embassy cannot reimburse you if your travel document gets lost in the post.


If you have any questions, please contact the embassy in Stockholm.