Renewing a minor's Dutch nationality certificate in Sweden

If you live in Sweden and your child is a Dutch national, you can renew their Dutch nationality certificate at the Dutch embassy in Stockholm.


  • The child has Dutch nationality.
  • The child is under 18.
  • The child has previously held a Dutch passport, ID card (valid or expired) or Dutch nationality certificate or was previously registered in a parent’s passport.

If the child’s situation is different, select the appropriate option under Applying for a Dutch nationality certificate.

What documents do you need?

When you apply for a Dutch nationality certificate, you must provide several documents. For every document, you must provide the original and a photocopy. You may need to have the original legalised and translated. The rules vary by country.

If you are sending the documents by post, you must send legalised official copies.

Identity documents

You should bring all identity documents in your and the child’s name. This includes foreign and expired documents. You do not need to bring expired documents which have already been cancelled (for instance by having a hole punched through them).

Application form

You should also bring a completed and signed Dutch nationality certificate application form (PDF, 55 KB) (in Dutch).

Parental consent

Each parent must give permission for a Dutch nationality certificate application to be submitted for the child.

If both parents are able to visit the embassy or consulate-general
Both parents sign the application form and accompany their child to the embassy or consulate-general. The parents should bring their identity documents with them.

If one or both parents are unable to visit the embassy or consulate-general
Each parent who is unable to come fills in and signs a declaration of consent. This form is available in Dutch and English. If you live in the Netherlands, you can get a declaration of consent form from your municipality. Make sure your child takes the signed declaration(s) and photocopies of both parents’ passports to the embassy or consulate-general with them.


If you are the child’s guardian, you must prove this by presenting an official copy of the relevant court judgment. The official copy must not have been issued more than 1 year ago.

Death certificate

If one or both of the child’s parents are deceased, please provide an official copy of the death certificate(s).

At least one parent is a Dutch national

You must provide proof that at least one of the child’s parents has Dutch nationality. This can be a Dutch passport and a residence permit for the country where they live. Or other documents proving Dutch nationality.

Birth certificate

If the child’s birth certificate is held in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen), you do not have to provide this document. If the child’s birth certificate is not held in the Personal Records Database, you should provide a complete official copy of the child’s birth certificate or an extract from the register of births, giving the child’s place of birth (not only the state, but also the city, town or village where the child was born) and both parents’ full names. These documents do not need to have been issued recently. Hospital-issued certificates are not accepted.

Proof of legal residence

You must provide proof of legal residence in the country where you and the child live. This could be:

  • a valid visa for the country where you live, and the documents that accompany it
  • a valid residence permit for the country where you live
  • proof of residence, if you live in the European Union, Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland or Switzerland, such as:
    • a certificate of registration at your municipality
    • a bank statement or utility bill giving your address
    • proof of payment of municipal taxes

How much will it cost?

For information about the cost of renewing a Dutch nationality certificate, see the overview of consular fees.

How long will it take?

The average processing time for applications is 3 weeks. If you are asked to provide additional documents, processing may take up to 8 weeks.

How will you receive the document?

You can collect the Dutch nationality certificate from a Dutch embassy or consulate-general in the region. In most cases, the document can also be sent by post.

Renewing a minor’s Dutch nationality certificate in this country or region

How do I make an appointment?

You can make an appointment online to visit the embassy in Stockholm.

You must provide proof of legal residence in the country where you live.
In Sweden, you can do this by providing: 

  • A population registration certificate (personbevis) in English issued by the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket). The certificate must have been issued in the last 3 months. To obtain this document you can call Skatteverket on 0771 567 567 (from within Sweden) or on +46 8 564 851 60 (from outside Sweden).
  • You can even order a “personbevis” online and have it send to you by mail. Visit the Skatteverket website and search for “personbevis”. Under ‘Who are you going to submit the certificate to?’ select ‘Foreign embassy/government agency/other recipient’. Choose the third option and then English. Finally, enter your Swedish personal identity number (personnummer).
  • If you have a BankID or a Mobile BankID you can also print your own ‘personbevis’ directly from the Skatteverket website by logging in with this application on the Skatteverket website.

In case of any changes in personal details

the original documents that can change the data in the passport (birth certificate, certificate of name change, option statement, Royal Decree, divorce decree, marriage certificate or partner’s death certificate). If these are not Dutch document, they need to be legalized* and if necessary translated.

If the application concerns the application for a Dutch nationality certificate for a minor, the following additional requirements apply in addition to the requirements above:

Original passports of both parents/legal guardians;

  • If one of the parents is unable to visit the embassy, this parent fills in and signs a declaration of consent. Also, a copy of his/her passport has to be provided;
  • If one of the parents is deceased: please provide an official copy of the death certificate;
  • In case of a divorce or termination of registered partnership: official documents indicating who has the legal custody over the child;

The completed and signed application form has to be signed by both parents/legal guardians.

How much will it cost?

You can find the price of a certificate in the overview of consular fees in Sweden.
Payment is by card only.

How long will it take?

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs will first determine if you are a Dutch national. If so, you are entitled to a passport or ID card.

Your passport or ID card will be ready in about 4 weeks. You may be asked to provide additional documents to help us assess your application. If so, it may take up to 8 weeks for you to receive your passport or ID card.

How can I track my application?

When you apply for a travel document, you will receive a track & trace code. This allows you to track your application online. You will be informed by email when your document is ready.

How do I get my document?

Collect your document

You can collect your document from the embassy in Stockholm between 9.00 and 12.00 Monday to Friday. You do not need to make an appointment. First check on which days our offices are closed.

In exceptional cases we can send your travel document by registered post if you have a Swedish driving licence or another official proof of identity. If you want to receive your document in this way, you should make this known when you submit your application.  You will have to pay the postage costs and the document will be sent to you at your own risk.

The embassy cannot reimburse you if your travel document gets lost in the post.


If you have any questions, please contact the embassy in Stockholm.