Legalisation of documents from Sweden for use in the Netherlands

You can use certain documents from Sweden immediately in the Netherlands. Other documents need to be legalised first by the Swedish authorities. This is done with a special stamp called an apostille.

Who can have documents legalised?

Anyone who has one or more documents from Sweden can have them legalised for use in any part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands:

  • the European part of the Netherlands
  • Aruba
  • Bonaire
  • Curaçao
  • Saba
  • St Eustatius
  • St Maarten

Requirements for your document

Your document must be original and complete. If the document refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

Translation of your document

If your document is not in English, French, German or Dutch you might need to have it translated. The following rules apply:

  • Your document must be translated by a sworn translator.
  • It must be translated into English, French, German or Dutch.
  • If the sworn translator is registered outside the Netherlands, you must also have the translation legalised.

Multilingual extracts from civil status records do not need to be translated. A multilingual extract is a standard form in 9 languages.

Where to get your documents

The most common documents are extracts from civil status records:

  • an official copy of a death certificate
  • an official copy of a divorce certificate

Contact the Swedish authorities to find out where you can get these documents.

Official copy of a birth certificate

You can get this document from the office of the Swedish tax agency (Skatteverket) in the municipality where you were born. You will need to provide your personal identity number (personnummer).

Certificate of unmarried status

You can get this document from the Swedish tax agency (Skatteverket). You will need to provide your personal identity number (personnummer). The certificate is valid for four months from the date of issue.

Official copy of a marriage certificate

You can get a marriage register extract (registerutdrag vigsel) or a civil registration certificate (personbevis) from the Swedish tax agency (Skatteverket). You will need to provide your personal identity number (personnummer). These documents do not state where the marriage took place.

If you need to prove where you got married you can provide one of the following documents along with the marriage register extract or civil registration certificate:

  • The original marriage certificate (intyg vigsel) you received when you got married states where the marriage took place. You can have a certified copy of the original document made, and use it as evidence to supplement the extract from the tax agency.
  • When you got married you also received a celebratory certificate (vigselbevis). This certificate has no legal status but it can be used as supporting evidence.

Other documents

Ask the Swedish authorities where you can get the documents you need.

Which documents do not need to be legalised?

The following documents do not need to be legalised for use in the Kingdom of the Netherlands:

  • documents drawn up by diplomatic or consular officers

Use of documents within the EU

You may have one or more public documents from an EU member state that you want to use in another EU country. In most cases, documents issued by an EU government or EU judicial body do not need to be translated. You may, however, need to attach a multilingual standard form to your document. You can obtain this form from the authority that issued your document. See the overview of all public documents that can be used freely within the EU on the European Justice website.

Which documents require an apostille?

An apostille is a stamp or sticker on your document. The following documents require an apostille:

  • official certificates which are placed on documents signed by persons in their private capacity (and not drawn up by a civil-law notary);
  • diplomas, certificates and other declarations, e.g. disability declarations;
  • certified copies issued by an EU country of public documents issued by the authorities in a non-EU country.

This is not a complete list. Contact the authorities to find out if your document needs an apostille.

Where can you have your document legalised?

To get your document legalised with an apostille, contact a Swedish notary public. See the website of the Hague Conference on Private International Law (HCCH).

Once your document has been legalised with an apostille it can be used in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Mediation by the Consular Service Centre (CDC) in The Hague

The Consular Service Centre (CDC) cannot help you apply for documents or have documents legalised for you in Sweden.

Verification of your document

The stamp or sticker on your document means only that the correct signature is on your document. Legalisation does not prove that the content is correct or that the document is authentic. A municipality in the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or another authority may decide to check this.