Applying for a Dutch nationality certificate if you live in Sweden

If you are a Dutch national living in Sweden, you can apply for a Dutch nationality certificate. You must provide a number of documents with your application. The documents you need depend on your personal situation.

You might need a certificate of Dutch nationality to prove that you are a Dutch national or to keep your Dutch nationality. If you are applying for a certificate to keep your Dutch nationality, you must have received the certificate within 10 years of the date of issue of your Dutch passport, ID card or a previous certificate of Dutch nationality. A new 10-year period starts on the day you receive the certificate.

Find out more about the situations in which you can apply for a Dutch nationality certificate.

Step 1: Create a personal checklist

When you apply for a Dutch nationality certificate, it is important that you provide the right documents. So you should first fill in the personal checklist for you or your child. Then you’ll know what documents you need.

Please note: In Step 2, you will see whether there are additional document requirements in the country you live in.

Generate your personal checklist by answering a maximum of 10 questions:

Don't see a checklist? Please try again later. Or try loading the page again or opening it in a different browser.

  • Your foreign documents may need to be legalised.
  • If your document was not drawn up in Dutch, English, French or German, you should have it translated by a sworn translator.
  • You may be asked to provide additional documents.
  • A Dutch nationality certificate is only issued in Dutch.

Step 2: Check the additional requirements/information.

Your documents may need to meet additional requirements in a given country. Below you can find out about the requirements for Sweden.

Proof of legal residence

You must provide proof of legal residence in the country where you live. Residents from Sweden can do this by providing one of the following documents:

  • a population registration certificate (personbevis) in English issued by the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket). To obtain this document you can call Skatteverket on 0771 567 567 (from within Sweden) or on +46 8 564 851 60 (from outside Sweden);
    you can apply for your document online and have it sent to you by post. Visit Skatteverket's website in English. Go to Individuals and employees/Living in Sweden/Population registration certificate. Under 'Who are you going to submit the certificate to?' choose 'Foreign embassy/government agency/other recipient’ In the final step, you will need to fill in the Swedish personal ID number belonging to the applicant(s);
    if you have a BankID or Mobile BankID you can also print out a personbevis via the Skatteverket website;
  • if you also hold the Swedish nationality: a valid Swedish passport or ID card.

Additional information on birth certificates in the event of a first-time application in Sweden

  • if the applicant was born in Sweden: a detailed personbevis from Skatteverket's population registration certificate, in English is required. The document should provide information on the applicant's parents;
  • if the applicant was born in the Netherlands: the original Dutch birth certificate is required;
  • if the applicant was born in a third country: the original birth certificate is required, if necessary legalised and translated by a sworn translator.

Additional information if you got married in Sweden

If you marry in Sweden you are not given a marriage certificate, but a document known in Swedish as a vigselbevis.

First application: legalisation of documents

Does your personal checklist (step 1) state that you must have a document legalised?

  • Do you have a document from Sweden? Many documents from the EU that are used in another EU country do not have to be legalised. Check on the page Legalisation of documents from Sweden for use in the Netherlands whether your document should be legalised or not;
  • Do you have a document from another country? Then also check whether it should be legalised.

Step 3: Apply for a certificate

Find out below how to submit your application.

How do you apply for a certificate?

Send a scanned copy of all the required documents and proof of payment to

Is the PDF file too large to send in one go? Then split the documents and send them in 2 (or more) emails.

How much will it cost?

A Dutch nationality certificate costs € 30 per certificate. Please transfer the total amount in euros (EUR) to:

Bank details
Bank name ING Bank N.V.
Address bank Financial Plaza, Bijlmerdreef 106
Postal code bank 1102 CT
Bank location


Account holder Ministerie van Buitenlandse Zaken (Ministry of Foreign Affairs)
Address Rijnstraat 8
Postal code 2515 XP
Location Den Haag (The Hague)
IBAN NL57 INGB 0705 0010 08

Important! When making the transfer please state the following: VBN - <your initials and last name> - <your country of residence>.

For example: VBN - PJ Janssen - Spain

Remember to attach proof of payment to your email (for example a copy or photo of your credit card statement / bank statement).

How long will it take?

The average processing time for applications is 4 weeks. If you are asked to send additional documents, processing may take up to 8 weeks. You will receive the certificate digitally by email.


If you have any problems, you can ask questions using the contact form