Registering a birth in South Korea

If your child is born in South Korea and has South Korean nationality, you must register the birth with the Korean autorities. If applicable, you can register the birth certificate in the Netherlands at a later time. You can acknowledge parentage of the child in South Korea or in the Netherlands.

If your child is born outside the Netherlands, the birth must be registered with the local authorities in that country. Such authorities include the local registrar of births, deaths, and marriages, and the municipality in which you live. When the birth of your child is registered, a birth certificate will be drawn up. In some countries you can register the birth at the Dutch embassy instead.

Rules for registering a birth and choice of name

You can find the Dutch rules for registering a birth and choosing a name for the child at Other rules may apply abroad. For example, there may be different rules concerning the use of surnames or other alphabets (such as Japanese or Arabic).

Registering a foreign birth certificate in the Netherlands

You can register the foreign birth certificate in the Netherlands. This is not compulsory, but it can be useful – for example if you or the child later need a copy or extract of the birth certificate.

If you have registered a birth with the local authorities of the other country, the birth certificate is a foreign document. In many cases, this foreign document will need to be legalised and translated. This depends on the country where the foreign document was issued.

Go to the webpages on legalisation to find out how to have foreign documents legalised.

Birth certificates issued by a Dutch embassy

If you register the birth of your child at a Dutch embassy, you will receive a Dutch birth certificate that will not need to be legalised for use in the Netherlands. You can apply to the same Dutch embassy if you later require an official copy or extract from the consular register. If you live in the country where the birth certificate was issued, you may contact the embassy yourself. In all other cases you can apply for the copy or extract by sending an email to the Consular Service Centre in The Hague.

Acknowledging parentage of a child while abroad or in The Netherlands

The rules for acknowledging a child vary by country. In some countries you have to follow a certain procedure and you receive a declaration of acknowledgment. In other countries, if a parent’s name is stated on the birth certificate this automatically means they acknowledge parentage of the child.

An acknowledgment of parentage issued abroad is not always legally valid in the Netherlands.

Acknowledging parentage in the Netherlands of a child born abroad

If your child is born abroad you can acknowledge parentage in the Netherlands at any time. So it's not a problem if acknowledging the child abroad is not possible. You can also authorise someone to do this on your behalf in the Netherlands. For more information about acknowledging parentage of a child, visit (in Dutch).

Registering a birth and acknowledging parentage of a child in this country or region

Exceptions in South Korea

You can register a birth at the embassy if:

1. Your child has Dutch nationality only.

2. Your child has Dutch nationality and another nationality (but not Korean).

You will need the following documents:

  • Birth certificate from the hospital. Make sure the names on this document, including the name of the child, are correct
  • Passports of both parents
  • Proof of legal stay of the parents (for example a Korean alien registration card)
  • Marriage certificate, translated and legalised if not a Dutch certificate

You have a month to register the birth of your child.

Please make a appointment via e-mail.