Applying for Dutch civil status records from outside the Netherlands

If you live outside the Netherlands and require a Dutch civil status record – for example, a birth, adoption, marriage, divorce or death certificate, or certificate of registered partnership – you can apply for an official copy or an extract from the municipality where the document was drawn up. How you do this varies from municipality to municipality.

Please note: the document will often need to be legalised if you wish to use it outside the Netherlands. More information on how to prepare your official copy or extract for use outside the Netherlands (legalisation) is available under ‘I want to use a Dutch official document’.


I want to apply for a Dutch official document

I want to use a Dutch official document