Legalisation of documents from Rwanda for use in the Netherlands

To use a document from Rwanda in the Netherlands, you must first have it legalised by the Rwandan Ministry of Justice. Then you must have it legalised by the Netherlands embassy in Kigali.

Who can have documents legalised?

Anyone who has one or more documents from Rwanda can have them legalised for use in any part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands:

  • the European part of the Netherlands
  • Aruba
  • Bonaire
  • Curaçao
  • Saba
  • Sint Eustatius
  • St Maarten

Requirements for your document

Your document must be original and complete. If the document refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

Translation of a document

If your document is not in English, French, German or Dutch you might need to have it translated. The following rules apply:

  • Your document must be translated by a sworn translator.
  • It must be translated into English, French, German or Dutch.
  • If the sworn translator is registered outside the Netherlands, you must also have the translation legalised.

Which documents can be legalised?

You can have various documents legalised, such as diplomas and certificates. The most common documents are extracts from civil status records:

  • an official copy of a birth certificate (extrait d’acte de naissance / attestation de naissance)
  • an official copy of a marriage certificate (attestation de mariage)
  • an official copy of a divorce certificate (attestation de divorce)

You can get these documents from the municipality (commune) where the birth, marriage, divorce took place.

Certificate of unmarried status

(attestation de célibat)

You can request a certificate of unmarried status from the municipality (commune) in your place of birth or residence.

Official copy of a death certificate

You can get this document from the municipality (commune) where the deceased was born.

Where to get your document legalised

You must have your document legalised by a notary authorised by the Rwandan Ministry of Justice in Kigali. Then, after having made an appointment via the online appointment system, you get the Dutch legalisation from the Netherlands embassy in Kigali.

After these 2 legalisation procedures, your can use your document in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

How much will it cost?

Please check the overview of the consular fees for the costs and payment method.

Assistance from the CDC in The Hague

­The Consular Service Centre (CDC) can help Dutch nationals apply for documents or have documents legalised.

Verification of your document in the Netherlands

The stamp or sticker on your document means only that the correct signature is on your document. It does not prove that the content is correct or that the document is authentic. A municipality in the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or another authority may decide to check this.