Applying for a long-stay visa (MVV) for residents of Romania

If you want to stay in the Netherlands for longer than 90 days, you may need a residence permit. In many cases you will also have to apply for a long-stay visa before you travel to the Netherlands. This visa is also called an authorisation for temporary stay (MVV).

In Romania, you can apply for this visa at the Netherlands embassy in Bucharest.

Important notice!

If the EU travel ban has been lifted for the residents of your country, you can apply for all visa categories. If the EU travel ban has not been lifted for the residents of your country, you can only apply for a visa if you fall under the exemption categories. Check the page " Q&A's Travel restrictions for the Netherlands" to see for which countries the EU travel ban has been lifted and what the exemption categories are. You cannot apply if the embassy/consulate general is not open for service. Please check if you can make an appointment via the appointment system. Are there no dates available? Then it is not yet possible to submit an application.

Do I need an MVV and/or a residence permit?

You should check whether you need an MVV and/or a residence permit. This depends on things like your nationality and the purpose of your stay.

Applying for a residence permit and an MVV

You can apply for a residence permit and an MVV in two ways:

  • through a host in the Netherlands (such as an employer, family member or educational institution)
  • in person at a Dutch embassy or consulate.

If you have a host in the Netherlands, in most cases your host will have to submit the application to the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND).

First check whether you need to take the civic integration examination.

What is your situation?

Click '+' to make your selection

Long-stay visa for residents of this country or region

Make an appointment via our online appointment system to apply for your visa.

Check the status of your application.

Have your document sent by post

You can have your passport with the visa sent to you by courier. If you wish so, you have to fill out a mailing address information form. You will pay the shipment directly to the courier when you receive your passport.

Photographer in Bucharest

In Bucharest the photographer below is familiar with the Dutch conditions for a passport size photograph:

Orice Personalizat
Address: Blvd Ion Mihalache nr. 42-52

Tel: 0040766087705
Opening hours: Monday to Friday between 8.30 and 20.00.

The photographer is in one week open on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and the other week on Tuesdays and Thursdays. That is why we advise you to always call first to see when you can go.