Activating DigiD from abroad
Once you have collected your DigiD activation code you will need to activate your DigiD via DigiD.nl or by using the DigiD app within 20 days. Otherwise, you will need to submit a new DigiD application.
Activating your DigiD using the DigiD app
You can activate your DigiD using the DigiD app, even if the app itself hasn't been activated. When you do so you will also activate your DigiD app. Follow the steps below to activate your DigiD.
- Download the DigiD app.
- Open the DigiD app.
- Tap "Start".
- You’ll be asked whether you already use the DigiD app on another device.
- Select "No".
- Enter your username and password.
- A verification code will be sent to your phone by text message (SMS).
- Enter the verification code.
- Enter the activation code you received by post.
- Choose and enter a 5-digit PIN.
- Confirm your PIN by re-entering it.
- When prompted, select whether you would like to receive notifications from the app if there are any changes regarding your DigiD.
- If prompted, select whether you would like to add the ID check to your DigiD app.
- Your DigiD account and the DigiD app should now be activated.
Be sure not to lose your PIN. You will need it every time you log in using the DigiD app.
Using your DigiD
Your DigiD is now ready to use. Keep in mind that your DigiD becomes invalid if you don’t use it for 3 years.
Don't have an activation code yet?
If you don't yet have an activation code, collect it using the collection code you were sent when you submitted your DigiD application.
Due to the coronavirus, you cannot collect a DigiD activation code at a Dutch representations abroad until further notice. At the moment this can only be done at DigiD collection points in the Netherlands.
Don't have a collection code yet? You will be sent a collection code when you submit your DigiD application.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.