Legalisation of documents from Oman for use in the Netherlands

If you want to use a document from Oman in the Netherlands, you must first have it legalised by the Omani Ministry of Foreign Affairs. This is done with a special stamp called an apostille.

Who can have documents legalised?

Anyone who has one or more documents from Oman can have them legalised for use in any part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands:

  • the European part of the Netherlands
  • Aruba
  • Bonaire
  • Curaçao
  • Saba
  • St Eustatius
  • St Maarten

Requirements for your document

  • Your document must be original and complete. If the document refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

Translation of your document

If your document is not in English, French, German or Dutch you might need to have it translated. The following rules apply:

  • Your document must be translated by a sworn translator.
  • It must be translated into English, French, German or Dutch.
  • If the sworn translator is registered outside the Netherlands, you must also have the translation legalised.

Which documents can be legalised?

You can have various documents legalised, such as diplomas and certificates. Ask the Omani authorities where you can get the documents you need. The most common documents are:

  • an official copy of a birth certificate
  • (births were not registered in Oman before 1979)
  • a certificate of unmarried status
  • an official copy of a marriage certificate
  • an official copy of a divorce certificate
  • an official copy of a death certificate

If your parents have or had a residence permit

If you were born in Oman to parents with a residence permit, ask your parents for a photocopy of their passports and residence permits. Photocopies of expired passports are accepted. You will need these photocopies to request an official copy of your birth certificate.

Where can you have your documents legalised?

You can get an apostille from the Omani Ministry of Foreign Affairs. For details see the website of the Hague Conference on Private International Law (HCCH).

After your document is legalised with an apostille, you can use it in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Assistance from the CDC in The Hague

The Consular Service Centre (CDC) can help Dutch nationals apply for documents or have documents legalised.

Verification of your document

The stamp or sticker on your document means only that the correct signature is on your document. Legalisation does not prove that the content is correct or that the document is authentic. A municipality in the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or another authority may decide to check this.