Applying for a long-stay visa (MVV) for residents of North Macedonia

If you want to stay in the Netherlands for longer than 90 days, you may need a residence permit. In many cases you will also have to apply for a long-stay visa before you travel to the Netherlands. This visa is also called an authorisation for temporary stay (MVV).

In North Macedonia, you can apply for this visa at the Netherlands embassy in Skopje.

Do I need an MVV and/or a residence permit?

You should check whether you need an MVV and/or a residence permit. This depends on things like your nationality and the purpose of your stay.

Applying for a residence permit and an MVV

You can apply for a residence permit and an MVV in two ways:

  • through a host in the Netherlands (such as an employer, family member or educational institution)
  • in person at a Dutch embassy or consulate.

If you have a host in the Netherlands, in most cases your host will have to submit the application to the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND).

First check whether you need to take the civic integration examination.

What is your situation?

Click '+' to make your selection

Long-stay visa for residents of this country or region

For all visa types you will need to schedule an appointment via our online appointment system.

Check the status of your application.

Visa applicants coming from Albania and Kosovo

Please enter Macedonia with your ID card, because the Netherlands embassy in Skopje needs to keep your passport in order to add the entry sticker visa. You can then return to Albania or Kosovo with your ID card.

It takes 2 weeks to process your application. Once the entry sticker visa is placed in your passport, it will be sent to either the Netherlands embassy in Pristina or Tirana. You can collect your passport there and do not have to travel twice to Skopje.

However, if you enter Macedonia with your passport you will have to travel back to Skopje in about 2 weeks time to have the entry visa sticker added to your passport.