Certificate of life in Nigeria
If you live in Nigeria and you need a certificate of life, the Netherlands consulate in Lagos can draw up this document for you.
The Netherlands representation in Abuja does not provide consular services.
Due to the corona virus, you cannot apply for this certificate at an embassy or consulate-general until at least 28 April 2020.
When might you need a certificate of life?
Dutch financial and benefits agencies like the ABP Pension Fund and the Social Insurance Bank may ask you to provide a certificate of life (verklaring van in leven zijn or attestatie de vita).
What documents do you need?
To apply for a certificate of life, you will need to appear in person at the consular section of the embassy or consulate. You will need to meet the following conditions:
- you must have a valid Dutch identity document
- you must be able to provide proof of your nationality or nationalities
- you must be able to provide proof of your address and place of residence. For example you could produce a certificate of registration from the municipality where you live
- you must be able to establish your marital status, for example by producing a marriage certificate
You may need to have the original legalised and translated. The rules vary per country.
Getting a certificate of life stamped
Some Dutch financial and benefits agencies draw up their own certificates of life. The embassy or consulate can then sign and stamp these documents (free of charge). This means you don't have to apply for a separate certificate of life.
But you will need to meet following conditions:
- you must be a Dutch national
- you must appear in person at the embassy or consulate
- you must produce a valid Dutch identity document
- you must provide proof of your address, for example official documents issued by the authorities
- You must sign the documents at the embassy or consulate in the presence of an embassy or consulate staff member
Obtaining a certificate from the municipality or a notary
If you are unable to go to the embassy or consulate you can instead obtain a certificate of life from the municipal authorities or from a notary in the municipality abroad where you live.
Certificate of life in this country or region
There is no need to make an appointment. Opening hours:
Monday till Thursday 8.00 - 16.00 hour
Friday 8.00 - 15.00 hour
Please check the overview of the consular fees for the costs and payment method.
Do you have questions after reading the information on this page? Please send an e-mail via the contact form.