Collecting a DigiD activation code via video call
Do you live abroad or are you abroad for a longer period of time? And have you applied for a DigiD from outside the Netherlands and received a service desk code? You can collect your activation code in a video call with a Netherlands Worldwide staff member. This means you don’t have to travel to a DigiD collection point. You need the activation code to activate your DigiD.
If you are in the Netherlands, you cannot make an appointment for a video call. You can collect your DigiD activation at a DigiD collection point in The Netherlands. The video calls are only for people who are abroad.
Make an appointment
You can make an appointment using the appointment system.
You will receive an email with the confirmation, instructions and a link to the video call.
New appointment options for the following week are added every Friday morning. If available, appointment options will also be added daily around 9:00 am for the day itself. Desks 1, 2 and 3 are available for appointments between 9:00 AM and 5:00 PM. Desks 5, 6 and 7 are for appointments between 3:00 PM and 10:30 PM.
The time you see with the appointment and in your e-mail calendar is the time in the Netherlands (CET: Central European Time, UTC/GMT+1). You should check what time that is in your time zone and possibly adjust it in your calendar.
What you’ll need for the appointment
- Your service desk code, starting with a B. You will receive this code in a text message (SMS) and in an email once you have applied for a DigiD. Your service desk code is valid for 30 days.
- Your DigiD username and password.
- Your passport or identity card issued by a country within the European Economic Area (EEA) and which you used when filling in your application. Driving licences are not accepted.
- Your Dutch citizen service number (BSN).
- A registration in the Non-residents Records Database (RNI). You do not need an RNI-extract for the video call appointment.
- A laptop with a webcam and microphone, or a tablet with a front camera.
- A stable internet connection for making the video call.
- An up-to-date internet browser, like Microsoft Edge, Firefox or Safari.
You must be in the video call yourself to receive your activation code. You may get help from someone.
What if my service desk code is expired?
You will be sent a service desk code when you apply for a DigiD. If your service desk code has expired, you have to apply for a new DigiD. With your request you will receive a new service desk code. You do not need to make a new video call appointment.
Forgot your DigiD username or password?
Did you forget your DigiD username or password? Simply apply for a new DigiD. You do not need to move your video call appointment.
Activate your DigiD
Once you have collected your activation code and you know your DigiD username and password, you can activate your DigiD and the DigiD app. If there’s time left, you can do this during your online appointment. The staff member can help you with this. You can activate your DigiD via DigiD.nl or the DigiD app. Download the DigiD app beforehand.
Collecting the activation code from a DigiD collection point
If you prefer to collect the code in person, you can make an appointment at a DigiD collection point.