Legalisation of documents from Mozambique for use in the Netherlands

If you want to use a document from Mozambique in the Netherlands, you must first have it legalised by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Mozambique. Then have your document legalised again by the Netherlands embassy in Maputo.

Who can have documents legalised?

Anyone who has one or more documents from Mozambique can have them legalised for use in any part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands:

  • the European part of the Netherlands
  • Aruba
  • Bonaire
  • Curaçao
  • Saba
  • St Eustatius
  • St Maarten

Requirements for your document

Your document must be original and complete. If the document refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

Translation of your document

If your document is not in English, French, German or Dutch you might need to have it translated. The following rules apply:

  • Your document must be translated by a sworn translator.
  • It must be translated into English, French, German or Dutch.
  • If the sworn translator is not registered in the Netherlands, you must also have the translation legalised.

Which documents can be legalised?

You can have various documents legalised, such as diplomas and certificates. The most common documents are extracts from civil status records (Conservatória do Registo Civil):

  • an official copy of a birth certificate (certidão narrativa completa de nascimento)
  • an official copy of a marriage certificate (certidão narrativa completa de casamento)
  • an official copy of a death certificate (certidão de óbito) (for all nationalities)

You can get these documents from the civil status records office in the municipality where the birth, marriage or death took place.

Certificate of unmarried status

You can get a certificate of unmarried status from the urban district (distrito urbano do bairro) where you live. You will need your identity document.

Official copy of a divorce certificate

(certidão de divórcio)

You can get this document from one of the following authorities:

  • the civil status records office in the municipality where the divorce was granted
  • the court (tribunal judicial)

Where can you have your document legalised?

First have your document legalised by the Mozambican Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Then take your document to the Netherlands embassy in Maputo to have it legalised again.

After these legalisation procedures, you can use your document in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

How much will it cost?

Please check the overview of the consular fees for the costs and payment method.

Assistance from the CDC in The Hague

The Consular Service Centre (CDC) can help Dutch nationals apply for documents or have documents legalised in Mozambique.

Verification of your document

The stamp or sticker on your document means only that the correct signature is on your document. It does not prove that the content is correct or that the document is authentic. A municipality in the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or another authority may decide to check this.