Legalisation of documents from Micronesia for use in the Netherlands

To use a document from Micronesia in the Netherlands, you must get a certificate of authenticity from the Micronesian Supreme Court.

Due to the coronavirus, the possibilities to have foreign documents legalised at an embassy or consulate-general are limited. To see if it is possible to make an appointment, please check the online appointment system (unless otherwise indicated). If no times are available, it is not yet possible. Do you only need to have your documents legalised by the local authorities? Then check with the local authorities if that is possible.

Who can have documents legalised?

Anyone who has one or more documents from Micronesia can have them legalised for use in any part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands:

  • the European part of the Netherlands
  • Aruba
  • Bonaire
  • Curaçao
  • Saba
  • St Eustatius
  • St Maarten

Requirements for your document

Your document must be original and complete. If the document refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

Translation of your document

If your document is not in English, French, German or Dutch you might need to have it translated. The following rules apply:

  • Your document must be translated by a sworn translator.
  • It must be translated into English, French, German or Dutch.
  • If the sworn translator is registered outside the Netherlands, you must also have the translation legalised.

Which documents can be legalised?

You can have various documents legalised, such as diplomas and certificates. The most common documents are extracts from civil status records. You can get these from the following authorities:

Pohnpei State Supreme Court
P.O. Box 1449
Pohnpei, FSM 96941

Kosrae State Supreme Court
P.O. Box J.
Kosrae, FSM 96944

Chuuk State Supreme Court
P.O. Box 187
Chuuk, FSM 96942

Yap State Supreme Court
P.O. Box 546
Yap, FSM 96943

Where can you have your documents legalised?

To use a document from Micronesia in the Netherlands, you must get a certificate of authenticity from the Micronesian Supreme Court. To do this, go to the Supreme Court of the island where your document was issued.

After these legalisation procedures, you can use your document in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Assistance from the CDC in The Hague

The Consular Service Centre (CDC) cannot help you apply for documents or have documents legalised for you in Micronesia.

Verification of your document

The stamp or sticker on your document means only that the correct signature is on your document. Legalisation does not prove that the content is correct or that the document is authentic. A municipality in the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or another authority may decide to check this.