Converting foreign official documents into Dutch official documents

If you have a foreign birth certificate, marriage certificate, certificate of registered partnership, death certificate or divorce or termination of registered partnership documents, you can ask the municipality of The Hague to convert them into Dutch documents. You can do this even if you live outside the Netherlands.

Converting your documents is not mandatory. But it will make things easier in the future if you ever need an official copy of a document. You will simply be able to request an official copy online from the municipality of The Hague. This will save you having to request one from abroad.

If you live in the Netherlands, you must first register your foreign document with the municipality where you are registered. The municipality will then enter this document into the Personal Records Database (BRP). After that, you can ask the municipality of The Hague to convert this document into a Dutch document.




See also