Loss of Dutch nationality
If you have dual nationality and you live outside the EU, you can lose your Dutch nationality if you do not renew your passport in time. You can also lose your Dutch nationality if you acquire another nationality.
Renew your passport in time
If you are aged 18 or over, have dual nationality and have lived outside the Kingdom of the Netherlands or the European Union (EU) for 13 years or more, you can lose your Dutch nationality. This will not happen if you:
- lived in the Kingdom of the Netherlands or the EU for at least one year of the 13-year period
- renew your passport, identity card or certificate of Dutch nationality within 13 years from the date of issue of your current document
You can apply for a passport, identity card or certificate of Dutch nationality at a Dutch embassy or consulate-general in your region. You are advised to make an appointment at least 3 months before the 13-year period ends. Then you can be sure that you will receive your new document in time.
In some cases you will need extra documents because you have dual nationality.
The period changed from 10 to 13 years on April 1, 2022. Did the 10-year period expire before April 1, 2022? Then you do not fall under the term of 13 years and you will have lost your Dutch nationality.
Acquiring a second nationality
Since 1 April 2003 anyone who acquires a second nationality loses their Dutch nationality unless one of the following exceptions applies to them.
In the following circumstances you can keep both nationalities:
- you were born in the country of the other nationality. And you lived there when you got this other nationality.
- you lived in the country in question for an uninterrupted period of at least 5 years before your 18th birthday.
- you were married to someone or entered into a registered partnership with someone who possessed the other nationality.
If you acquire Austrian nationality, these exceptions do not apply and you will lose your Dutch nationality.
Other circumstances in which you will lose your Dutch nationality
See Government.nl for an overview of all the circumstances in which you can lose your Dutch nationality.