Legalisation of documents from Macau for use in the Netherlands

If you want to use a document from Macau in the Netherlands, you must first have it legalised by the Ministry of Justice in Macau. This is done with a special stamp called an apostille.

If you want to use documents from China or documents from Hong Kong in the Netherlands, a different procedure applies.

Who can have documents legalised?

Anyone who has one or more documents from Macau can have them legalised for use in any part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands:

  • the European part of the Netherlands
  • Aruba
  • Bonaire
  • Curaçao
  • Saba
  • St Eustatius
  • St Maarten

Requirements for your document

Your document must be original and complete. If the document refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

Translation of your document

If your document is not in English, French, German or Dutch you might need to have it translated. The following rules apply:

  • Your document must be translated by a sworn translator.
  • It must be translated into English, French, German or Dutch.
  • If the sworn translator is registered outside the Netherlands, you must also have the translation legalised.

Which documents can be legalised?

You can have various documents legalised, such as diplomas and certificates. The most common documents are those issued by the civil records office (Conservatória do Registo Civil de Mação):

  • an official copy of a marriage certificate
  • an official copy of a death certificate (after 31 March 1963)

You can request these documents from the register of marriages and deaths (Conservatória do Registo de Casamentos e Óbitos).

Official copy of a birth certificate

You can request this document from the register of births (Conservatória do Registo de Nascimentos).

Official copy of a divorce certificate

You can request this document from the register of marriages and deaths (Conservatória do Registo de Casamentos e Óbitos). If your divorce was granted by a court, you can request the document from the court.

Certificate of unmarried status

Ask the authorities in Macau where you can get this document.

Where can you have your documents legalised?

You can get an apostille from the Ministry of Justice in Macau. For details see the website of the Hague Conference on Private International Law (HCCH).

Once your document has been legalised with an apostille, it can be used in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Assistance from the CDC in The Hague

The Consular Service Centre (CDC) can help Dutch nationals apply for documents or have documents legalised.

Verification of your document

The stamp or sticker on your document means only that the correct signature is on your document. Legalisation does not prove that the content is correct or that the document is authentic. A municipality in the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or another authority may decide to check this.