Certificate of residence in Japan

If you live in Japan you may occasionally need to produce a certificate of residence. The embassy in Tokyo can draw up this document for you.

When do you need a certificate of residence?

A certificate of residence allows you to prove your place of residence abroad. You need this document:

  • in connection with various tax and social security contributions
  • when renewing your driving licence

What documents do you need?

You need the following documents in order to apply for a certificate of residence:

  • a document showing that you have the permission of the local authorities to reside in the country where you are applying – for example, a residence permit (this is not required if you live in the EU)
  • proof of your current address
  • proof that you have Dutch nationality. This may be any one of the following documents:
    • a Dutch passport
    • a Dutch national identity card
    • a certificate of Dutch nationality

Certificate of residence in this country or region

Additionally, we will need:

  • a copy of an official document that has your address (employment contract, rental contract, telephone bill, insurance bill, etc);
  • Reason why this document is needed.

You can apply in person by making an appointment online with the embassy in Tokyo, or apply in writing by sending an email with the required documents as an attachment to tok-ca@minbuza.nl.

Average processing time

In person

The document can be collected from the security guard from 17.00 on the day on which the request was submitted. It must in any case be collected within one week..

By post

The document can also be sent by post. If you wish to use this service, please bring a JPY 510 Letter Pack with you when you submit your request. A Letter Pack is a standard envelope issued by Japan Post. It can be purchased from most post offices and convenience stores. You can find more information on the Japan Post website

Make an appointment online with the Dutch embassy in Tokyo.


Payments at the Dutch embassy in Tokyo can be made with Dutch bank cards, by Visa or Mastercard, or in cash in Japanese yen (JPY). View the consular fees to find out how much you need to pay.

If you are unable to come to the embassy in person to apply, but want to collect your document in person, you can transfer the €30 fee to the bank account of the Dutch embassy in Tokyo. Send a screenshot of the transfer (or the debit from your account,) as an attachment to your email.

Bank and address details

Bank details
BIC/Swift code: INGBNL2A
IBAN: NL93 INGB 0705454029
Recipient: Ministry of Foreign Affairs, RSO-AZI
Reference: TOK/CA, followed by <name> and <type of declaration>

Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands
Consular Section
3-6-3 Shibakoen, Minato-ku
Tokyo 105-0011