Legalisation of documents from Jamaica for use in the Netherlands

If you want to use a document from Jamaica in the Netherlands, you must have it legalised by the Jamaican Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade. This is done with a special stamp called an apostille.

Who can have documents legalised?

Anyone with one or more documents from Jamaica can have them legalised for use in any part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands:

  • the European part of the Netherlands
  • Aruba
  • Bonaire
  • Curaçao
  • Saba
  • St Eustatius
  • St Maarten

Requirements for your document

Your document must be original and complete. If the document refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

Translation of your document

If your document is not in English, French, German or Dutch you might need to have it translated. The following rules apply:

  • Your document must be translated by a sworn translator.
  • It must be translated into English, French, German or Dutch.
  • If the sworn translator is registered outside the Netherlands, you must also have the translation legalised.

Which documents can be legalised?

You can have various documents legalised, such as diplomas and certificates. The most common documents are extracts from civil status records:

  • an official copy of a birth certificate
  • certificate of unmarried status (certificate of no impediment to marriage)
  • an official copy of a marriage certificate
  • an official copy of a death certificate

You can get these documents from the Registrar General’s Department (RGD), Twickenham Park, Spanish Town.

Official copy of a divorce certificate

You can get this document from the Registrar of the Supreme Court in Kingston.

Where can you have your documents legalised?

You can get an apostille from the Jamaican Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade.

Once your document has been legalised with an apostille it can be used in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Documents issued by the Jamaican consulate in Oranjestad (Aruba) or Willemstad (Curaçao)

Documents issued by the Jamaican consulate in Oranjestad or Willemstad must be legalised by the Department of Legislation and Legal Affairs  (DWJZ) in Oranjestad or the Foreign Relations Department DBB) in Willemstad. After legalisation, you can use your document in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Assistance from the CDC in The Hague

The Consular Service Centre (CDC) cannot help you apply for documents or have documents legalised for you in Jamaica.

Verification of your document

The stamp or sticker on your document means only that the correct signature is on your document. Legalisation does not prove that the content is correct or that the document is authentic. A municipality in the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or another authority may decide to check this.