What is remigration benefit?
If you currently live in the Netherlands and are moving back to your country of birth, you may be able to receive remigration benefit. To qualify, you must have been born outside the Netherlands and be 55 or over. The Social Insurance Bank (SVB) pays the benefit into your bank account each month. How much you receive depends on the country you will be living in, your family situation and whether you receive other allowances.
Can I receive remigration benefit?
You must meet the following conditions to receive remigration benefit:
- You have lived in the Netherlands legally for at least 8 years in a row
- You are 55 years old or over
- You were 18 or over when you came to live in the Netherlands
- You were born in the country you are moving to
- You are, or were, a national of the country you were born in
- If you are a Dutch national, you will be giving up your Dutch nationality
- You have received Dutch benefits for at least 12 consecutive months before applying for remigration benefit
If you do not meet these conditions you cannot receive remigration benefit.
If you do meet these requirements, check what other requirements you will need to meet. See the SVB website for a summary of the conditions for remigration benefit.
You can apply for remigration benefit using SVB’s ‘Mijn remigratie’ app.
Citizen Service Number
You will need your citizen service number (BSN) to apply for remigration benefit.
After you have applied for remigration benefit, you will need a DigiD. If you don’t already have one, apply for a DigiD before you move.
How much you will receive
Answer some questions on the SVB website to see how much remigration benefit you may be entitled to.
The Netherlands Migration Institute can advise you
The Netherlands Migration Institute (NMI) can answer your questions about remigration benefit and help you with your application. Contact the NMI by calling +31 (0)30 236 42 45.
NMI staff speak Dutch as well as:
- Moroccan Arabic
Visit the NMI website (information in Dutch)
I have a question about my remigration benefit
If you already receive remigration benefit and have a question about it, contact the Social Insurance Bank (SVB).
If you live in Turkey, Morocco, Suriname or Spain contact the SVB office at the embassy.