Legalisation of Dutch documents for use abroad

If you want to use a Dutch document in another country, you usually need to have it legalised first. This is done with a special stamp or sticker. The process is normally completed at the foreign country’s embassy or consulate.

You can use documents issued by countries or municipalities that are part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands anywhere in the Kingdom without legalization.

What is legalisation and why is it required?

Legalisation makes documents, like diplomas and civil status documents, suitable for use in another country. It shows that a document has been issued by a competent authority.

The legalisation procedure depends on the type of document:

Government-issued documents

  • official copies of civil status documents
  • passport photocopies
  • residence documents

Diplomas and certificates

  • diplomas
  • lists of grades
  • certificates
  • proof of enrolment in a course

Medical documents 

  • medical certificates
  • medication certificates
  • pet passports

Legal documents

  • powers of attorney
  • court orders
  • documents drawn up by a lawyer
  • documents drawn up by a notary

Business documents

  • articles of association
  • analytical reports
  • export documents
  • certificates of origin

Documents from Dutch organisations that can be legalised directly

The CDC can legalise documents from certain Dutch organisations directly if the document includes the name and signature of an authorised staff member at the organisation.