Legalisation of documents from Iraq for use in the Netherlands

Your document from Iraq needs legalization from the Iraq Ministry of Foreign Affairs. If you have the document officially translated in Iraq by a sworn translator, the translation must also be legalized by the Iraqi Foreign Ministry. The Iraqi embassy in The Hague will then make a statement about your document. Finally, the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs legalizes the consular statement.

Who can have documents legalised?

Anyone who has one or more documents from Iraq can have them legalised for use in any part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands:

  • the European part of the Netherlands
  • Aruba
  • Bonaire
  • Curaçao
  • Saba
  • St Eustatius
  • St Maarten

Requirements for your document

Your document must be original and complete. If the document refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

Translation of a document

If your document is not in English, French, German or Dutch you might need to have it translated. The following rules apply:

  • Your document must be translated by a sworn translator.
  • It must be translated into English, French, German or Dutch.
  • If the sworn translator is registered outside the Netherlands, you must also have the translation legalised.

Which documents can be legalised?

You can have various documents legalised, such as diplomas and certificates. The most common documents are extracts from civil status records, such as an official copy of a birth or death certificate.

In Iraq you can obtain these documents from the Ministry of Health (wazarat alsehha)

Official copies of marriage and divorce certificates are generally obtained from the Civil Status Department of the Ministry of Justice (wazarat aladel-mahkamat al ahwal alshakhsiyah).

Where can you have your documents legalised?

You can have your document legalized at the Iraqi Ministry of Foreign Affairs. If a sworn translator translated the document in Iraq, you can also have the translation legalized at the Iraqi Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Due to the situation in Iraq, the Dutch embassy in Baghdad cannot legalize.

To still get a Dutch legalization you should request a consular statement about your document from the Iraqi embassy in The Hague. The embassy can tell you what the conditions are for requesting this statement. Then, have the consular declaration legalized by the Consular Services Center of the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs. This is only possible if the original document and the translation are included.

Please note: a translation made by a translator sworn in the Netherlands does not have to be legalized.

Assistance from the CDC in The Hague

The Consular Service Centre (CDC) cannot help you apply for documents or have documents legalised for you in Iraq.

Verification of your document

The stamp or sticker on your document only means that the correct signature is on your document. It does not prove that the content is correct or that the document is authentic.

A municipality in the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or another authority may conduct further checks.