Working Holiday Program when you are from Hong Kong

Are you from Hong Kong and between at least 18 and 30 years of age? You can come to the Netherlands for a maximum of 1 year to get to know the Dutch culture and society. For this, you need to apply for a residence permit (MVV).

How to apply

Check the conditions at the website of the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND). If you meet all the conditions, you can apply at the Consulate-General in Hong Kong. Please make an appointment via the online appointment system.

What to bring

Make sure you bring the following documents to your appointment:

  • a completed and signed MVV application form;
  • a valid HKSAR passport and a copy of the holder page of your passport. Please note: if you want to avoid renewing your passport during your stay in the Netherlands, please make sure that your passport is still valid for at least 18 months at the day of your application.
  • two passport photographs, which must meet the Dutch requirements for passport photos;
  • a return travel ticket or proof of sufficient financial means (e.g. a recent bank statement) to purchase such a ticket and for the initial period of your stay.

A maximum of 100 applicants from Hong Kong citizens can participate in the WHP per year. From the start of each year (1st of January) monthly 20 WHP appointment timeslots will be released for registration. This process will repeat until the quotum of 100 is reached. The Consulate General will make an announcement on this page when the yearly maximum is reached.

What is next

After submitting your application at the consulate-general in Hong Kong:

  • You will get an email from the central processing office with an information sheet and a reference number (v-number).
  • You will be requested to pay the fees and to mail all the relevant documents to the Dutch Immigration (IND) in the Netherlands. Its email address will be provided in the information sheet.
  • The IND checks if you meet all the conditions for a residence permit, after that the IND will inform you by e-mail about their decision. If the decision is positive you need to visit the consulate-general to affix the MVV visa in your passport. Please note that your visa must be affixed in your passport before you can enter the Netherlands.

Do you have a passport issued by the authorities in Hong Kong? Then you can only apply at the consulate-general in Hong Kong.

More information

Read more about the Working Holiday Program and the conditions on the website of the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND).