Pensions and benefits in Guyana

Do you live or work in Guyana? Or do you plan to? This may affect your pension and benefits, including your child benefit.

Receiving benefits abroad

Depending on your situation you may be able to continue receiving pension or benefits abroad. This also depends on the type of benefit you receive. The Netherlands may also have special arrangements with the country where you live or work. On you can find general information on receiving your pension or benefits abroad (in Dutch).

You can also ask the institution that pays out your benefits or pension.

Pension and child benefit via the Social Insurance Bank (SVB)

The Social Insurance Bank (SVB) pays out child benefit and pensions (AOW, ANW, AIO). If you have lived or worked in the Netherlands, you are probably entitled to Dutch state pension (AOW) even if you now live outside the Netherlands. But please note that you must apply for this pension yourself on time. You should also note that the state pension age in the Netherlands is gradually being raised.

Read more about applying for AOW if you live outside the Netherlands.

Benefits paid out by the UWV

The Employee Insurance Agency (UWV) pays out unemployment benefits (WW), sickness benefits (Ziektewet) and incapacity benefits (WIA, WAO, Wajong, WAZ). Go to to find out whether you can receive your benefit abroad.

Social assistance benefit through your municipality

If you receive a social assistance benefit, ask your municipality what will happen if you move abroad.

Certificate of life

If you are entitled to a pension or benefits and you live abroad, your benefits agency may ask you to provide a certificate of life. The Dutch embassy or consulate can issue or sign and stamp a certificate of life.

Note: in order to pay your pension or benefit, the Sociale Verzekeringsbank (SVB) needs proof that you are alive. Under normal circumstances, you provide this proof by completing an SVB life certificate form, having it signed and certified by a competent authority or individual and returning it to the SVB. However, due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) it is currently not possible to have the form signed and certified. Check out the  frequently asked questions regarding life certificates (SVB).

Pensions and benefits in this country or region

There is no additional information.