Certificate of life in Greece

If you live in Greece and you need a certificate of life, the embassy in Athens can draw up this document for you.

When might you need a certificate of life?

Dutch financial and benefits agencies like the ABP Pension Fund and the Social Insurance Bank may ask you to provide a certificate of life (verklaring van in leven zijn or attestatie de vita).

What documents do you need?

To apply for a certificate of life, you will need to apply in person at the consular section of the embassy or consulate. You will need to meet the following conditions:

  • you must have a valid Dutch identity document
  • you must be able to provide proof of your nationality or nationalities
  • you must be able to provide proof of your address and place of residence. For example you could produce a certificate of registration from the municipality where you live
  • you must be able to establish your marital status, for example by producing a marriage certificate

You may need to have the original legalised and translated. The rules vary per country.

Getting a certificate of life stamped

Some Dutch financial and benefits agencies draw up their own certificates of life. The embassy or consulate can then sign and stamp these documents. This means you don't have to apply for a separate certificate of life.

But you will need to meet certain conditions:

  • you must be a Dutch national
  • you must appear in person at the embassy or consulate
  • you must produce a valid Dutch identity document
  • you must provide proof of your address, for example official documents issued by the authorities
  • You must sign the documents at the embassy or consulate in the presence of an embassy or consulate staff member.

Obtaining a certificate from the municipality or a notary

If you are unable to go to the embassy or consulate you can instead obtain a certificate of life from the municipal authorities or from a notary in the municipality abroad where you live.

Certificate of life in this country or region

Request for declaration

For the statements mentioned above, you can send the required documents by mail to: Leoforos Vassileos Konstantinou 5-7 106 74 Athens - Greece You can also scan the documents and send them by e-mail. Indicate clearly in your e-mail what you need the certificate for. We mention this in the statement.

It takes approximately 10 working days to prepare a statement and send it to your address. If you have sent original documents, they will be returned.


Check the overview of the consular rates for the amount you have to pay. You increase this amount with the shipping costs € 5. Transfer the total amount to the embassy's bank account: Please mention on consignment: consular statement + your name ING Account in the name of: Ministry of Foreign Affairs in connection with Embassy of Athens IBAN: NL05 INGB 0705 4540 61 BIC or SWIFT CODE: INGBNL2A

Do you have any questions?

Send us an e-mail via the contact form.