Using translated documents abroad

If your document was translated by a registered sworn translator, you can have it legalised. This is done with a stamp or sticker. After legalisation, you can use the document abroad.

What is legalisation?

Legalisation makes documents suitable for use in another country. It shows that a document has been issued by a competent authority.

Sworn translations

You may want to use a translated document abroad, for example a translated diploma or official copy of a civil status document.

The translation must have been done be a sworn translator. Sworn translators are registered with a Dutch district court and listed on the Register of Sworn Interpreters and Translators.

Which translated documents does the CDC legalise?

The CDC will only legalise translations if both the translation and the source document meet all the requirements.

Requirements for translations

Translations must meet the following requirements:

  • The translation must have been done by a sworn translator who is registered with a Dutch district court.
  • The translation must have been legalised by a district court.
  • The translation must have been attached by the translator to the source document or to a photocopy of the source document.
  • The translation must not be in Dutch.

Which translated documents cannot be legalised by the CDC?

  • Translations in Dutch. These should only be attached so that the document can be read by Dutch speakers.
  • Translations of source documents from abroad, if the legalisation procedure was not completed in the country of origin.
  • Translations intended for use in a country that is member of the Apostille Convention.

The most common translations are of:

  • extracts from civil status records (birth certificates, marriage certificates, death certificates, etc.)
  • diplomas and certificates
  • powers of attorney
  • court orders
  • trade documents

Requirements for source documents

Documents that have been translated must meet the following requirement:

  • The document was drawn up in the Netherlands (in Dutch, English, French or German).


  • The document was drawn up abroad and the legalisation procedure was completed in the country where it was drawn up.