Legalisation signature Dutch citizen in China

Sometimes you might need to have your signature legalised. The embassy in Beijing or the consulates in Shanghai and Guangzhou can legalise your signature if you are a Dutch national. The consulate in Chongqing does not offer consular services.

You will need to check yourself if the authority where you wish to use the document (i.e. your bank, a notary or a municipality) can accept the document with the legalisation. The legalisation only concerns the signature, not the content or authenticity of the document.

In some cases the embassy or consulate first needs to check with the ministry of foreign affairs in the Netherlands if a signature on a certain document can be legalised. This might be the case with some powers of attorney.

What do you need to do?

You will need to come to the embassy or consulate in person. Legalisation of a signature cannot be done by mail. The signature has to be put on the document in front of the consular officer. You need to bring the following documents in order to apply for a certificate of residence:

  • The document on which the signature needs to be legalised. .
  • Proof that you have Dutch nationality. This may be one of the following documents:
    • A Dutch passport
    • A Dutch national identity card
    • A certificate of Dutch nationality

How do I make an appointment?

You can make an appointment online to visit the embassy in Beijing or the consulate-general in Guangzhou or Shanghai.

How much will it cost?

You can find the price of a passport or ID card in the overview of consular fees in China.

  • At the consulates-general in Guangzhou and Shanghai payments can only be made in cash, in Chinese yuan (CNY).
  • At the embassy in Beijing payments can be made in cash or by card.