Mailing instructions for applications submitted in Canada

Do you prefer to have your document shipped back to you? Below you will find mailing instructions for passports, visas, consular declarations and legalisations.

After you have submitted your application in person at a Dutch Diplomatic Mission, your file (but not passports) will be sent to the Regional Support Office (RSO) in Washington D.C. (visas) or The Hague (Dutch passports/other) for further processing. Once finalized you wil receive an email notifying you that your document is ready for collection. At this point, you can either pick up the document in person at the location where you applied, or you can have it shipped to you if you left a prepaid, self-addressed traceable envelope or courier label at time of applying.

These options are also available to residents of the United States who have submitted an application in Canada. Provided with the  proper envelope/label we can ship to anywhere in the world.

Due to the sensitive nature of a travel document we only ship them via CanadaPost Xpresspost / commercial courier.

Shipping documents within Canada

  • Preferred:  Canada Post ‘Xpresspost’ envelope, choose from ‘Regional’ or ‘National’; up to 4 passports will fit the Standard (small) Size. Note: a special ‘sticker’ can be purchased at the post office and put on the envelope: this will require a signature upon delivery for added security.  There are Canada Post outlets near the Embassy and Consulates.
  • UPS (prepaid self-addressed labels)
  • FedEx (idem)
  • DHL (idem)

Shipping documents to the USA/international from Canada

  • Canada Post ‘Xpresspost’ envelope destination ‘USA’ orInternational
  • UPS (USA or International shipping label)
  • FedEx (USA or International shipping label; ‘H’ labels are not accepted)
  • DHL (USA or International shipping label)

Additional instructions

  • In addition to the prepaid self-addressed label / envelope, you must submit a copy of the label.
  • Labeled envelopes need to be submitted preferably at the time of the application. 
  • The label needs to state your name as the shipper to be accepted.
  • Labels marked C.O.D. (cash on delivery) will not be accepted.

Non-travel documents

We can also send a declaration or a legalization document to you by way of regular envelope/mail. To allow us to use this option, you must add a written request to your application, stating the complete address including the postal code, and contact telephone number.

Calculating shipping costs

To calculate the shipping costs, use the address of the Embassy or Consulate-General where you submit your application.

Important: disclaimer

Mailing the documents directly to your (home) address is entirely at your own risk.
The Embassy/Consulate-General is not responsible for loss of or damages to a document once it has been shipped using the label you provided.