Evaluation of a foreign qualification for study in the Netherlands
If you have a foreign certificate or diploma and want to study in the Netherlands, you need to have your qualification evaluated. Diploma evaluation shows what Dutch qualification your diploma or certificate is equivalent to.
Why diploma evaluation?
Diploma evaluation shows whether:
- your foreign qualification meets the admission requirements of the study programme you want
- you are eligible to apply for the study programme
Schools and universities can use diploma evaluation to decide whether:
- to admit you to the study programme
- to give you exemption from certain parts of the programme
The educational institution does not have to accept the outcome of the diploma evaluation. It is only an advice, not a decision, on possible admission to the study programme.
Do I need diploma evaluation?
- If your foreign qualification is not equivalent to the Dutch one required for admission to the study programme, you need to get your diploma or certificate evaluated.
- Even if your foreign qualification is equivalent to the Dutch one required for admission to the study programme, you will not be admitted automatically. The school or university may still ask for diploma evaluation and may check if your diploma or certificate is genuine.
Applying for diploma evaluation for admission to a programme of study
Through the educational institution of your choice
Contact the regional training centre (ROC), institution of higher professional education (hogeschool) or the university offering the study programme you want. If they apply for evaluation of your diploma, it does not cost you anything.
On your own initiative
If the educational institution does not apply for evaluation of your diploma, or if you prefer to make the arrangements yourself, you can apply through IDW.nl, the information centre for international credential evaluation. In that case, you have to pay a fee.
Go to IDW.nl to find out more about:
A diploma can only be evaluated if you obtained it:
- in mainstream education at an institution that is accredited and recognised by the government of that country;
- after completing more than 1,000 hours (one school year) of education and/or training.
If your diploma is not in Dutch, English, German or French, you need to get it translated by a sworn translator. The Register of Sworn Interpreters and Translators (information in Dutch) has a list of all the sworn translators in the Netherlands.
How long will it take?
After the IDW has received all your documents and you have paid the fee (if applicable), the process can begin. A regular evaluation takes 20 working days. An urgent evaluation takes 10 working days.
Lost your diploma evaluation?
Ask for a duplicate
If your diploma evaluation was issued before 1 September 2020 but you have lost the original document, you can ask for a duplicate. You will receive a digitally signed duplicate by email. This service is only available for documents issued less than 7 years ago.
Download a duplicate
If your diploma evaluation was issued after 1 September 2020 but you have lost the original document, you can download a duplicate from your account at MijnIDW.nl.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.