How do I apply for DigiD from abroad?
You can apply for DigiD from abroad via Digid.nl. Collect your activation code from a DigiD collection point to activate your DigiD.
Conditions for applying for DigiD
- You have Dutch nationality or the nationality of another country within the European Economic Area (EEA)
- You have a valid passport or identity card (driving license not allowed) from an EEA country
- You have a citizen service number (BSN)
- You are registered in the Non-residents Records Database (RNI)
- You have a telephone which can receive text messages (SMS) both in the Netherlands and abroad
- You have an email address
Once you’ve applied for the DigiD, you’ll be sent a collection code by email and by SMS. You’ll need this code to collect your activation code from a DigiD collection point in the Netherlands or abroad.
Your collection code will be valid for 30 days only. We therefore advise you to make an appointment to collect the activation code before you apply for DigiD. That way you can be sure that the code will not have expired before the day of your appointment.
- Collecting your DigiD in the Netherlands
- Collecting your DigiD abroad (or the Caribbean part of the Netherlands)
Due to the corona virus, you currently may not be able to collect a DigiD activation code at a Dutch representation abroad.
Do you live or are you abroad and do you need to travel a long way to collect your DigiD activation code? Or is there no DigiD collection point near you? You can also collect your DigiD activation code online in a video call with a 24/7 Netherlands Worldwide staff member. Check the conditions and book your appointment now.
Difficulties applying for a DigiD
If you have difficulties applying for a DigiD, and you already have an EU-approved login key from another European country, you may be able to use that eID to access Dutch government services online.
General Old Age Pensions (AOW)
If you receive, or will soon be receiving, a Dutch General Old Age Pension (AOW), you can apply for DigiD via the Social Insurance Bank (SVB). You will not need to go to a DigiD collection point.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.