Legalisation of documents from Cambodia for use in the Netherlands

If you want to use a document from Cambodia in the Netherlands, you must have it legalised by the Cambodian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation.

Who can have documents legalised?

Anyone who has one or more documents from Cambodia can have them legalised for use in any part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands:

  • the European part of the Netherlands
  • Aruba
  • Bonaire
  • Curaçao
  • Saba
  • St Eustatius
  • St Maarten

Requirements for your document

Your document must be original and complete. If the document refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

Translation of a document

If your document is not in English, French, German or Dutch you might need to have it translated. The following rules apply:

  • Your document must be translated by a sworn translator.
  • It must be translated into English, French, German or Dutch.
  • If the sworn translator is registered outside the Netherlands, you must also have the translation legalised.

Which documents can be legalised?

You can have various documents legalised, such as diplomas and certificates. The most common documents are extracts from civil status records:

  • an official copy of a birth certificate
  • an official copy of a marriage certificate
  • an official copy of a death certificate

You can get official copies of these documents from your municipality (commune council). Documents issued before 2007 are no longer valid.

Certificate of unmarried status

You can get this document from your municipality. Take two witnesses with you. The registrar will interview you before issuing the certificate.

Official copy of a divorce certificate

Ask the Cambodian authorities where you can get this document.

Where to get your document legalised

Have your document legalised by the Cambodian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation.

After your document has been legalised by the Cambodian authorities, you can use it in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Assistance from the CDC in The Hague

The Consular Service Centre (CDC) cannot help you apply for documents or have documents legalised for you.