Legalisation of documents from Brazil for use in the Netherlands

If you want to use a document from Brazil in the Netherlands, you must have it legalised with an apostille by the Brazilian authorities.

Due to the coronavirus, the possibilities to have foreign documents legalised at an embassy or consulate-general are limited. To see if it is possible to make an appointment, please check the online appointment system (unless otherwise indicated). If no times are available, it is not yet possible. Do you only need to have your documents legalised by the local authorities? Then check with the local authorities if that is possible.

Who can have documents legalised?

Anyone who has one or more documents from Brazil can have them legalised for use in any part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands:

  • the European part of the Netherlands
  • Aruba
  • Bonaire
  • Curaçao
  • Saba
  • St Eustatius
  • St Maarten

Requirements for your document

Your document must be original and complete. If the document refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

Translation of your document

If your document is not in English, French, German or Dutch you might need to have it translated. The following rules apply:

  • Your document must be translated by a sworn translator.
  • It must be translated into English, French, German or Dutch.
  • If the sworn translator is registered outside the Netherlands, you must also have the translation legalised.

Which documents can be legalised?

You can have various documents legalised, such as diplomas and certificates. The most common documents are extracts from civil status records (registro civil).

Official copy of a birth certificate

(certidão de nascimento)

You can get this document from the notary's office (cartório) in the place or district where the birth was registered. You must provide the original birth notification.

If you do not have the original birth notification, you will need:

  • the name and place or state of the notary’s office that registered the birth
  • the volume, page number, registration number and date of registration

Certificate of unmarried status

(declaração de estado civil / escritura pública declaratória de estado civil)

You can get this document from a notary’s office (cartório). You will need two witnesses who are not your relatives to swear that you are not married.

If you are already in the Netherlands, you can request the certificate from the Brazilian consulate-general in Amsterdam. You must have the Brazilian nationality to do this. The consul will confirm your signature. You then need to have the document legalised by the Consular Service Centre (CDC) in The Hague. After legalisation you can use your document in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Official copy of a marriage certificate

(certidão de casamento)

You can get an official copy of a marriage certificate from the notary's office (cartório) where the marriage was registered.

Official copy of a divorce certificate

You can ask the notary (cartório) who registered the divorce for an official copy of the divorce certificate.

Official copy of a death certificate

(certidão de óbito)

You can get an official copy of a death certificate from the notary (cartório) who registered the death.

Where can you have your documents legalised?

You can get an apostille from the Brazilian authorities (information in Portugese).

After your document is legalised with an apostille, it can be used in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Assistance from the CDC in The Hague

The Consular Service Centre (CDC) can help Dutch nationals apply for documents or have documents legalised in Brazil.

To request a birth certificate or marriage certificate, we need a copy of the certificate. Do you not have a copy? Then we need to know the registration number and where the certificate is registered. Without this information, the CDC cannot mediate with requesting the certificate. 

Verification of your document

The stamp or sticker on your document means only that the correct signature is on your document. Legalisation does not prove that the content is correct or that the document is authentic. A municipality in the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or another authority may decide to check this.